[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Podcasts, MP3's and IPods oh my! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Podcasts, MP3's and IPods oh my!

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Podcasts, MP3's and IPods oh my!

Postby angienewton » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:17 pm

Could someone explain Podcasts to me? Pretty please :wink:

Also, would you choose an MP3 player or an IPod and why?

I keep hearing about podcasts and how I can put them on an MP3 or IPod but I'm a bit confused at it all. What else can you use an MP3/IPod for other than downloading music?

Any insight? Thanks!
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby ripsaw » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:34 pm

angie,
podcasts are cool online radio shows. check out podcast alley or itunes for a ton of info. you can download the shows to listen on your computer or mp3 player. I have a small 256 mp3 player but will probably spring for a ipod soon. These things are very addicitive .
ripsaw

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:57 pm

I recently bought one of those small MP3 Players - specifically so I could listen to conferences and audio files "on the go" (while driving, taking a walk, etc). I love it!

I havent really gotten into any of the Podcast or iPod stuff... perhaps someone else on the forum knows more about that...

Tell us a little bit about what you would need - or why you want an iPod or an MP3 player. Maybe that will help us with helping you :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby angienewton » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:07 pm

Thanks ripsaw and Lynn!

Lynn,
I am interested because I would like to listen to audio files and Internet radio shows while on the go or while I'm exercising. I guess I don't need something too extravagant. I just wasn't familiar with the differences between an MP3 player and an ipod.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby jbsmith » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:11 pm

Hi Angie - and with your question, you just pointed to the brilliance of
Apple branding their mp3 player as the Ipod. Truth is the Ipod is an
mp3 player - and now you will also find video players as well.

There are some subtle differences between mp3 players in terms of
memory (how many mp3's it will hold), battery life, built-in fm tuner that
would allow you to broadcast to your car radio when in the car (Ipod
doesn't come with this - its an extra), video capabilities and of course,
the user interface.

Best is to zip into your local electronics store and try the different ones
out - and ask questions about the characteristics listed above.

In terms of podcasting. Podcasting is really a combination of traditional
audio files (such as mp3's) that are embedded in an RSS feed (such as
a blog) which allows content to be pulled - on demand - by those interested
in listening.

From a marketing perspective, this is interesting for a few reasons:

1. You can target the millions of mp3 players out there who now search
for useful content.

2. You can allow people to "pull" your content instead of you having to
rely on marketing channels to "push" your content out to subscribers.
For instance, mailing an ezine has become very unreliable these days,
but putting out a podcast of your newsletter each week allows subscribers
to subscribe to your podcast (through Podcast reader software they get
for free) and then when they hook their mp3 player up to their PC, they
automatically download a copy of your latest podcast.

3. Recording your own audio interviews, radio show or teleseminar is now
a very cost-effective, feasible thing to do for most marketers - quality
microphones, recording devices and audio editing software are all within
reach.

IN fact, you can listen to my latest podcast where I run through a 12-minute, 6-step overview of recording audio that you could then turn into
a podcast.

You'll find it in my latest blog post over at:

Hope this helps - feel free to ask any questions if you want.

Cheers...
Jeff
jbsmith

Postby angienewton » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:30 pm

Thank you so much Jeff! You explained that very well and I will definitely check them out next time we're at the electronics store. Hubby wants a new computer so maybe I'll throw in an MP3 or iPod. ha ha!

I appreciate all the help!
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:11 am

Check out Wal-Mart's specials too (can probably get a deal during the after-Christmas sales! ;) ) - and dont forget eBay & Amazon. I ended up getting mine on eBay... and saved a few bucks. Just shop around a bit until you find what you want, for the price you want :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jason Moffatt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:10 pm

Jason Moffatt
Elite Member

Postby Sandra » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:51 am

Angie,

I also mostly listen at the gym or long walks so I have a small player that fits easily in my pocket or hand. I think an Ipod would be too bulky for me, but they have really cool features, like Jason said about the video Ipod.

Podcast receiver software like , or works like an RSS feed reader b/c you subscribe using an rss feed.

I just open Juice, click check for new podcasts and it updates all the subscriptions. If I'm working on the computer at home I just right click on an audio file and choose 'listen in windows media player.' To transfer files to my MP3 I use the software that came with the player to tranfer files for on the go listening.

Of course MP3 files like teleseminar recordings can be listened to on the player and you can also rip CD's. There are so many audios available online now, even regular tv and radio broadcasts, i.e. and the many podcast available on .

Here's hoping Santa brings you an MP3 player in your stocking. It's fun and you can get addicted real quick. :lol:
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:10 am

angienewton
Elite Member

Postby Sandra » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 pm

Sandra
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:24 pm

Ah ha, I get it now! Thanks!

I'm on the hunt for an MP3 YEAH!
angienewton
Elite Member

Then along comes video podcasting...

Postby jbsmith » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:52 pm

jbsmith

Postby angienewton » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:37 pm

It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to let you know I finally got my MP3 player! YEA! I did a lot of research and had finally decided on a player except we went to Circuit City to do some major shopping and I found a 6 GB for just a bit more than the 1 GB I was looking at. It was a great deal and I love it.

I bought the iriver H10 MP3 player and although I'm still learning how to use it, I like it a lot.

Thanks again for all of your help! And HAPPY NEW YEAR!
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby Jason Moffatt » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:26 pm

If i'm not mistaken that iRiver can be used to record mp3's as well right?

It's a great little tool for "Podcasting" or "Product Creation" while on the go.

You might be at the mall, and see some amazing little niche. Then it just so happens that the "master" of that niche is at the mall too.

This is where the iriver can come is super handy. Turn that baby on and record a live interview on the spot.
Jason Moffatt
Elite Member

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics