[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Need help or ideas on directing traffic to rest of site • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Need help or ideas on directing traffic to rest of site

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Need help or ideas on directing traffic to rest of site

Postby windowsxp550 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:16 pm

windowsxp550

Benefit from your heavy website traffic

Postby Robert A. Kearse » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:34 pm

windowsxp550:

By far the best way to benefit from this traffic is to
add your website visitors to one of your opt-in lists.

It can be your ezine, if you have one.

Once they are on your list you will have many opportunities
to sell them.

Give away something free through a pop-up that can't
be blocked. Put the pop-up (glide in) on the page receiving
all the traffic.

An Internet marketer, Jo Han Mok recently emailed me,
since I am on one of his opt-in lists.

He offered a series of free gifts and gift #1 would
benefit you:

http://www.midastouchmarketing.com/turkey/

Try to make the free gift you offer relevant to the
article or whatever is generating all the traffic.

I have a newsletter that is focused on FREE tools
and resources for work at home businesses.

If you search through The Tax Torpedo Work At Home
Newsletter Archives, I'm sure you will come up with
a unique set of incentives to subscribe to your list:

http://100freeworkathometools.com/newsl ... hives6.php

Put the download link info on an autoresponder and
have a sign-up box generated by the autoresponder.

One last thought. The days when website visitors would
gobble up anything free are long gone, so your free
offer page should read like a SALES PAGE, with heavy
emphasis on the BENEFITS. See this link as an example:

http://100freeworkathometools.com/forumsupertips.php

Hope this insight helps.

Best of success.

Robert
Robert A. Kearse

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:04 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby windowsxp550 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:44 pm

Sure Lynn,

Article is 99 Run Commands (I recently updated this to 113 Run Commands), located here:
http://www.fixmyxp.com/content/view/20/40/

My Alexa Rating when from 1,200,000 to 498,000 almost overnight. What really suprises me is that, the article I wrote back in July. In doing a few Google Searches (I Googled, fixmyxp) to investigate what cause this increase I did find a few noteable links. One was from a site called del.icio.us (I had never heard of this site before). I was on the popular list on that site, what it is, is a bookmark site, where new bookmarks appear on the left side and when other members save a link that is already on the list it counts them. I was at something like 500 people in 2 days on del.icio.us. I also was linked on by a Microsoft MVP, who praised the article, and mentioned that he was shocked that I had a bunch on the list that even he didn't know about.

From there the snowball effect has been happening. I am now at 43,000 since this increase started (it started on the 24th of November).

Thank you Robert for your advice, I have gone and put a Freebie offer on this high traffic page in exchange for a newsletter signup. I woke up today and already had 50 new subscribers....1 had already unsubscribed. My Newsletter is quarterly, if I get enough subscribers maybe I'll increase this to monthly.

Take a look and let me know what you think...
windowsxp550

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:20 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby windowsxp550 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:27 am

Some follow up on this that I wanted to post, in hopes that it may help someone else who is struggling with getting traffic.

I did a bunch more research and I was able to figure out what triggerred this sudden massive increase in traffic.

The short answer, was it was caused by me.

The long answer, on Nov 16th, I was reading an article about the best way to approach other webmasters when asking for a link. I did a bit of research to figure out some of my competitors high ranking links. Then I chose one of the sites that had a PR of 7 and I sent an email to using the article I had read as a guide. My past attempts at gaining links by email had all been unsuccessful, so I only sent that one email as a test. What happened, was the webmaster didn't respond to my email, instead he took an excerpt from one of the articles he like (the 99 Run Commands Article) and posted a link to that particular article on my site. From there several other well known sites (like del.icio.us and lifehacker.com..to name a few) started linking to me. Then it snowballed to many other sites. When I first started to see the increase in traffic, I was completely unaware that it was my email that sparked everything...

It has only been 8 days, and my traffic went from getting 150 hits a day to a 8 day total of 51,000 and growing. Doing a search on my website on Google went from 250 results to 295,000 results.

Also, now that I have added the newsletter signup and freebie incentive to my high traffic page (as Robert suggested...thanks Robert), My newsletter subscribers have also increased (they were at 25, now they are at 500).

So in my case after months and months of trying PPC, posting on Forums, buying traffic, and many many other methods, what finally worked was sending 1 email and getting linked to a high traffic website.

I have already started to send out more emails. I only wish that I had done this from the start.

Regards,
windowsxp550
windowsxp550

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:14 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity