[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - "Gotta Have" website stuff for newbies • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

"Gotta Have" website stuff for newbies

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

"Gotta Have" website stuff for newbies

Postby kathleen » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:53 am

Ok as all of you know, I am a relative newbie to the whole web business thing, and I have hunted around and followed recommendations to try to find the programs and tutorials that every newbie should have. Here's what I have so far:

1. To learn HTML so you can creat your website yourself - a 4 book series by the newbie club for $29.95-

2. Graphics Program - Paint Shop Pro: Offers a 60 day free trial

3. Some sort of FTP program - I got FTP express

SEO

1. Sharon & Roy's Class

AFFILIATE MARKETING

1. Ken Evoy's Affiliate Master Email course or book

And I've just been told to check out a PHP tutorial, (sorry forgot to bring the link :oops:)

My question is this: What am I missing? Is there an area of online business or a great tutorial available on a topic that I haven't touched yet?
I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered, and don't miss something that I'll wish I knew about later.

Thanks,
Kathleen
kathleen

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:41 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kathleen » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:45 pm

kathleen

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:50 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:52 pm

Hi Kathleen,

Another html tutorial site that I have used for the last couple years is

HTH
Mike
Michael

Postby Tom Fosson » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:58 pm

OK, many of these have been mentioned, but here's my repertoire...

for editing just about anything! Great for raw HTML, JavaScript, Perl & CGI, php, etc.

- the free version of the above.

- I whole heartedly agree with Lynn! This is the boss!! I couldn't get by without it! I use it for everything from FTPing, multi-renaming files, synchronizing directories, viewing graphics, working with all archived files such as zip & rar, and just simple file manipulation! It's easier than Windows Explorer once you get used to it.

- a great image viewing utility that integrates well with Total Commander (as does NoteTab!) It gives Total Commander its image viewing capability.

- Not really needed with Total Commander, but I keep it around. :)

- One of the best free HTML editors anywhere. It integrates with TidyHTML, an HTML verifyer, and Top Style for CSS editing. It color codes syntax for easier HTML editing just like NoteTab Pro.

could easily be one of the best beginner HTML editors available, but it hasn't been upgraded in nearly three years. It includes a tutorial and over 400 javascripts and DHTML routines. Very easy to use, but slooow on older machines - a real memory hog, too!

- a "must have" if you work with CSS style sheets! It's saved me a lot of headaches!

- the free version of the above.

- a great little free program for batch creating thumbnails of your large graphics and the html pages for them.

- Check your entire site for broken links! It's fast, too, because it runns multiple threads.

- a quick graphic button generator - if you use them or your client likes them. :)

- I can't say enough about this program and its companion Animation Studio - though I prefer for some animations.

- You'll find a treasure chest of color and graphic utilities at this site! The Eye Dropper is great!

- If you ever need to be able to create ebooks or other 'pdf' type files, Acrobat is the way to go. Though, I believe there are some 'free' pdf creators available, I've never tried them. At minimum, you should have the free reader.

- this utility lets you 'encode' your email addresses and affiliate links to discourage spammers, harvesters and thieves. It's simple HTML code and some javascript, so it works offline from your browser.

are just two of the many free and useful utilities available from AnalogX.

- The best way to test CGI and Perl scripts is to run them from a SSH Telnet session - you can see the errors generated in the console. And the best SSH Telnet client is free! It's called PuTTY!

Well, that's my list. :) I hope it helps some of you. I've also collected miscellaneous Perl, CGI, Javascript, Java, and php scripts over the past ten years that I dig into anytime I need something. I also bookmark every useful site I run across and organize them into folders within my favorites.

Hardware-wise, you should have either a Zip Drive or a CDRW to back up your sites onto either CD or Zip Disk. A computer crash without a bacckup of your client's websites can be a disaster!

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Fosson

Postby kathleen » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:05 pm

Wow!! :shock: What a great list!! Seems that there are many things I still need to look into...thanks to all who have put in their top picks, and please, feel free to continue. I am soaking this up like a sponge, and will go out and grab the things I don't have yet!!

Kathleen
kathleen

Postby The Great Gordino » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:21 am

Hi Kathleen,
my all-time newbie advice?
Dont spend any money without askign abou the program and what you intend to achieve.
My own example, my html knowledge is, er, limited, but via the forums, I put up a page, and a complete stranger redesigned it for me, and said I could take the site apart and use it myself.
So I learnt that html totally free.
Ok, for some stuff you might need more complex kmnowledge, but the principle applies in everything- it might be that you don't actually need to fork out the cash!!
Gordon
The Great Gordino

Postby Sandra » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:05 pm

I totally agree with Gordon! You don't have to spend a lot on start-up. Here's a great example... you can get webhosting for free at www.doteasy.com The domain registration is a bit higher than some other firms, but you save in the long run. Especially if you are still working on building the site. (like me, LOL!)

You can also get some great web templates at www.dollartemplates.com and of course by visiting Lynn's templates (see the link at the top of the forums). Templates are great if you only know a little HTML.

Sandra

www.StepByStepFundraising.com
Put more step in your charity fundraising run/walks!
Website COMING SOON!
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby James Mann » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:29 pm

This is a great thread. Must note this for future reference. A lot of people
ask the same question, but this one got some extra attention from Tom.

Great wack of info Tom. :lol:
James Mann

Postby Tom Fosson » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:47 pm

Tom Fosson

Postby Kevin Robb » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:03 am

Kevin Robb

Postby kathleen » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:20 am

kathleen

Postby Sandra » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:41 pm

Sandra
Elite Member

Postby terri seymour » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:05 pm

Hello Kathleen,

To round off your new online business you need to start publishing your own ezine. I offer a great free course for doing just that. Just send any email to moe-mini-course@getresponse.com

Looks like you have tons of info to sort through. ;-)
terri seymour

Next

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming