[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - annoyed with guru im'ers bad twitter behavior • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

annoyed with guru im'ers bad twitter behavior

Social Marketing strategies: using Web 2.0 Social Media apps & services to gain traffic and exposure to your websites. Discussions on Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Pownce, StumbleUpon, MySpace & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Alan Petersen

annoyed with guru im'ers bad twitter behavior

Postby terrapin719 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:00 am

I started writing a discussion here and ended up making it a post on my blog because it got kind of lengthy on me.

I've seen this happen twice in the past week where IM guru types linked straight to a download in their twitter message without making people aware that it was a download. Maybe I'm over-reacting here, but I think this is just awful twitter behavior, and a little tacky and sneaky on top of that.

Generally speaking when people click on a link in Twitter they expect to get more info, an article or something, not a download directly to their computer. What do you guys think of this method of sharing?

(okay so I got lengthy again.... I tried not to type so much LOL)
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Tue May 19, 2009 8:28 am

I can agree that putting a "download" link in ANY site (not just twitter) without mentioning that it IS a download link is wrong.

You're right about the potential of viruses, malware etc. I'm also not fond of the short url type links either. But in twitter it DOES make sense.

But if it's someone I'm familar with and like then I not too worried. But I wouldn't be happy with the above scenario.

8)
CorpRebel

Postby lisamariemary » Tue May 19, 2009 8:36 am

I don't think you're overreacting at all! And I think it's very tacky and sneaky - exactly!
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Tue May 19, 2009 10:01 am

Tacky, very tacky! I would report them if I got something like that. With all the viruses out there I don't want to take the chance. I am always nervous clicking any links that turn to those tiny url's. I try to open them on the old laptop that I only use for Tweetdeck so if anything happens, it's not a total loss.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about it. As far as I can tell from reading Twitter's rules and policies they haven't done anything wrong. I did send a note to Twitter to ask about linking to things that are instant downloads. I'll let you know what I find out from them.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Return to SMO: Social Marketing & Social Media