[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Better to use your own real name in Twitter, or . . . ? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Better to use your own real name in Twitter, or . . . ?

Social Marketing strategies: using Web 2.0 Social Media apps & services to gain traffic and exposure to your websites. Discussions on Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Pownce, StumbleUpon, MySpace & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Alan Petersen

Better to use your own real name in Twitter, or . . . ?

Postby AnitaHampl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:29 pm

When I first really dove into Twitter, a mentor in another business taught me to use my own name. He especially recommeneded that for all the people with more common names, so they could lock in their name rather than have to add numerals (think AOL, JohnSmith vs. JohnSmith48274).

With the exception of the famous people and internet gurus, what kind of name do you think people should use on Twitter? I am adding a few pseudonyms for some affilaite marketing I'm testing, so should I use "mustang sally" or "Sally Green" (these are only random examples) if I'm marketing auto supplies?

Thanks.
AnitaHampl

Postby angienewton » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Good question, Anita! I guess it really depends. I have heard that a lot of people use different user names for different niches but I personally only have one Twitter account. Don't think I could keep up with more that is for sure.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:19 pm

I use OregonCoastGuy for Twitter, but would more than likely use my real, full name if I had it to do over again.

Still, I think creating a brand is very important, so people get to know you, no matter what you end up using. Decide on something and stick with it. :wink:
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby terrapin719 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:21 pm

terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby AnitaHampl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:52 pm

AnitaHampl

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Oregon Coast Guy

Postby angienewton » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:38 am

angienewton
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:43 am

terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby mellymom3 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:40 pm

I chose my name kdbbiz because it was the first business I ever registered in 2001. It was actually KDB Business Services but kdbbiz ended up becoming my username for most anything biz related I signed up for and needed a username. I like it because it is short and to the point.
mellymom3

Postby lindastacy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:03 pm

I think using your real name makes it easier to build relationships and trust. Of course if you're a well-known, branded business you might want to tweet under the business name (and I mean well-known like Amazon, Staples, Barnes & Noble, etc). But if you're trying to build a small home business, I think people will feel more comfortable with a "person" rather than a "company."

I think people just seem more approachable when they use their real name. I'd rather talk to NancyGreen than to GreatSoapCompany.

And I'm with Angie... someone dvised me to set up some Twitter accounts using keywords related to my business, but I have enough trouble keeping up with one Twitter account.... Don't think I could handle several.

One of the examples Anita gave might be a good compromise if you want multiple accounts for multiple niches... assuming your name is Sally, you could use "Mustang Sally" for the auto niche, "Sally Bags" for a purse niche, and "Sweet Sally" for a gourmet chocolate niche.
lindastacy

Postby terrapin719 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:39 pm

terrapin719
Elite Member

Return to SMO: Social Marketing & Social Media