[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - table width question • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

table width question

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

table width question

Postby LynnWilson » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:50 am

is it best to do table width as 100%, or in pixels, which I am not real sure about...? Would it be 800? Also, then would I have to specify width for each <td>? Can that be done in percent also or, again, are pixels best?

Thanks!
Lynn
LynnWilson

Postby scott » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:20 am

Lynn,

I believe,a nd I'll let the others correct me,but it's best to do it in %. The reason is your site will look the same to people that view it with different resolutions (800x600 vs 1024x768 for example).

Scott
scott

Postby ChristyK » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:55 am

Again, I am not an expert with this, but I agree with %. For Scott's reason as well as the fact that it will adjust when a person's window is not at full size.

Christy
ChristyK
Elite Member

It's a matter of opinion

Postby ImNgraphicDesign » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:26 pm

Lynn,

Personally I use a fixed width on all my tables (usually 780 pixels). The reason is when you set your table width as 100% it will resize to fit the screen of the person viewing it. This can affect your text and image layout in some cases, so I personally avoid it.
ImNgraphicDesign

Postby sugarrae » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:00 pm

I know a lot of people who won't use percentages and consider it "bad design". That said, I use percentages for almost all my sites and have not had a problem. Just be aware that on bigger screens it can stretch and possibly look funny. It is best to find some friends with different monitor types to do some testing for you before you launch. :)
sugarrae
Elite Member

Postby LynnWilson » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:14 pm

Thank you so much! That's a great help!

Lynn
LynnWilson

Postby kidino » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:46 pm

Percentage or Pixels ... Hmmm ... this has always been a debate.

With percentage, there's this term called rubberband design which allows your design to shrink and expand to the screen width. In many ways, that is great. You design should be OK on all screens. The thing is that you should try your design on a few screen width and see the outcome yourself. If it looks OK on all screen, then fine ...

With pixels, it easier to maintain. Your design is fixed and does not move around to the screen width. It's just that some may still be using the 640x480 screen. Actually, I normally use the pixel and make my design to fit the 800x600 screen.

Depending on the type of website I am making, I make my content table width from 600 to 780. For multiple column, I would use 780 or so. For sales page, one column website, I may just use 600.

Which you should use ... ? I can recommend the pixel but I have nothing to back it up with. I think, by the end of the day, maybe it's up to what you are comfortable with and what you think is suitable for your viewers.
kidino
Elite Member

Postby Rose » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:50 pm

A great website to check out is Anybrowser.com

http://www.anybrowser.com/index.html

You can do a screen size test for the different screen resolutions people use so you can SEE what your website looks like. You can also check your links, check your keywords - tons of stuff to help you with your web site design.

Hope this helps.
Rose
Elite Member

Postby LynnWilson » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:58 pm

Thanks, guys! Useful information. I like that site, Rose.

Lynn :D
LynnWilson

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming