[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - CSS to use or not? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

CSS to use or not?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

CSS to use or not?

Postby kathleen » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:43 pm

kathleen

Re: CSS to use or not?

Postby Tom Fosson » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:07 pm

Tom Fosson

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:55 pm

[quote="Tom Fosson]Hi Kat,

I'm sure you're aware of the labor saving benefits of using SSI (Server Side Include) files - how you can change something common to many pages (even thousands) such as a navigation menu by just changing one single file.

[/quote]

I'm embarrased to admit it but the only thing I know about SSI is the tibits and passing comments that I've seen from others here. :oops: I don't know much of anything about it, and have not used it.

Tom, thanks so much for the links, I will be sure to check them out. If you have any on SSI that you could pass on, I'd appreciate that as well. :D

Are there any downsides or reasons NOT to use CSS or SSI? (all these letters are starting to make me dizzy :wink: )

Kathleen

Postby Tom Fosson » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:13 pm

Tom Fosson

Postby Tom Fosson » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:26 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to mention one 'downside' in using SSI - at least, many consider it a 'downside'. :wink: That's the inability of a browser to view the SSI file from your hard disk without installing an Apache Server.

Most web designers are under the mistaken impression that without the Apache Server installed under Windows, one would have to upload the SSI file to the server and view it from there.

That assumption is, however, just plain wrong!

All you need is a small, insignificant little utility that rides almost unnoticably inside your System Tray (if you choose to let it load at startup the way I do.) :) It's called "SHTML Viewer" and is available as 'freeware' from . It will convert your SSI to a temporary htm file and display it in your browser without having to be online or have Apache Server installed.

It's gotta be the greatest invention since sliced bread! At least, it saves me a lot of frustrations.

I hope you get some use out of that little tip! :)

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Fosson

Postby kidino » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:55 am

kidino
Elite Member

Postby kathleen » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:11 am

WOW thanks Tom and Kidino! Your explinations really helped to clear up all those "letters" I kept seeing but not really understanding. Looks as if I have quite a bit of homework to do to try and learn about these things.

Moving upward and onward, first basic website design, then affiliate marketing, now CSS and SSI, soon I'll be a real pro!!

Kathleen
kathleen

Postby kidino » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:42 am

kidino
Elite Member

Postby Sandra » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:09 pm

Yes, for all the reasons these guys said! :wink:

It just makes page creation so much easier. You don't have to keep editing text tags. You don't have to worry that text is uniform across the page(s), b/c with CSS you KNOW it is.

You can also specify a certain font, style and size for your H1, H2, etc. tags, so when you want a certain look, just use one of those tags.
Sandra
Elite Member

One More Question

Postby kathleen » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:05 am

One More question, ok there will probably be more than one before I'm done here, but one more for now-- Is there any reason you can't use these two things together? SSI and CSS I mean.

I've found a great easy to follow tutorial here: and think I have a decent handle on CSS and also think I know enough about SSI to give it a try, and I couldn't see a reason you couldn't do both but I thought I'd check here first and make sure before I went to all the work.

Kathleen
kathleen

Re: One More Question

Postby Tom Fosson » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:01 am

Tom Fosson

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming