[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Dreamweaver tip • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Dreamweaver tip

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Dreamweaver tip

Postby jcrawford » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:42 am

Hi everyone,

I've been using Dreamweaver for many years, but occaisionally I will still discover ways that I am not using it to its full potential. I found such an incredible time saving trick yesterday that I felt I must share it.

I am in the process of building a new site. I created a gallery template and created about 35 pages from it. Then I realized I needed to change the links I was using. Dang!

Then I tried the "find & replace" feature. Instead of opening all those files and changing all the links one at a time, you can use find & replace to change them all at once.

It is so cool. It will let you specify specific source code, tag or text, and search not just the file you have open, but all the files in your site, or just the folder you choose.

I saved myself literally hours of work. I am pleased :D

I suppose some day I should go in and read all the directions. Ha.

Happy Friday
jcrawford

Postby MommyEnterprises » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:48 am

Wow, thanks for the tip. I myself have had to go back through all my pages of my site to change a link.

That tip can save a ton of time.

Best Wishes :lol:

Stefani
MommyEnterprises

Postby kidino » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:43 pm

I use Dreamweaver too. The great thing about it right now, especially ever since the version 4 is that it supports server technology like ASP, PHP and JSP. I think the MX now supports Cold Fusion too.

OK ... about the link change thing.

When ever I am starting a new project, I always define a new site. Then I would start building a template. Make sure that you save it as a template. In the template you can define editable regions and you use it when you are creating a web page using that template.

Now here's the SPECIAL thing. Whenever you change anything in the template, and save it. Dreamweaver will look for all web pages that was created with that template and change the non-editable region.

So in cases where I change my navigational menu, I would just change it in the template and save it. Then Dreamweaver would go out and look for all the other web pages using this template. Dreameaver would update the navigational menu itselfs.

You guys should give this a try.

Oh yeah ... with the server technology, it's easy to do database connectivity and stuffs like that.
kidino
Elite Member

Postby sugarrae » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:53 pm

Notetab, the free version, also has this feature. I code by hand, but when I need to change something uniform accross 100 or so pages, I open all the files with one click, do the autosearch find and replace through all documents with one click and then save all the files again with one click.

I have a copy of dreamweaver and a few friends who swear by it. But I have been coding by hand for so long that it actually takes me longer to try and figure out dreamweaver and I get frustrated and give up LOL. I'm sure if I kept at it, it would eventually save me some time, but I code extremely fast and I can't seem to make myself go slower for a few weeks til I get the hang of dreamweaver.
sugarrae
Elite Member

Postby MrGrammar » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:08 pm

MrGrammar

Postby kidino » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:07 am

kidino
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming