The Educational Policy Improvement Center (EPIC) is seeking consultants for the following upcoming project. You will need a high-speed Internet connection, an email address, a web browser and previous experience using information on the web. This project does not involve travel.
Texas College Readiness Assignments
The Texas College and Career Readiness Initiative is a four-year project designed to improve alignment between secondary and postsecondary education in Texas. The project is sponsored by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) and is being conducted in three phases.
During the first phase of the study, vertical teams developed standards in the areas of English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Science to identify the skills and knowledge students need in order to succeed in entry-level courses at Texas public institutions of higher education. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board adopted the College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) on January 24, 2008. The second phase of the project involved validating the standards. An alignment analysis was conducted to compare the CCRS to existing entry-level instructional priorities and practices at Texas postsecondary institutions. The results identified that the CCRS were indeed highly representative of what students must know in order to succeed in entry-level college courses.
Currently, we are working with vertical teams in Texas to develop College Readiness Assignments (CRAs) as part of the third phase of implementation. Vertical teams are made up of secondary and postsecondary educators who have chosen to assist in the development of complex, performance-based assignments that reflect the validated CCRS. These assignments will be piloted within Texas classrooms and eventually disseminated statewide.
We are currently looking for content editors to review draft versions of CRAs in the following subject areas:
Responsibilities associated with the work include:
• Perform necessary content and copyediting of manuscript for up to 18 extended performance assessment tasks at the 12th grade level for [subject area]
• Maintain schedule
• Work under the supervision of project manager
• Develop illustration specifications
• Obtain permissions, when necessary, and keep records of permissions
Requirements for these positions include:
• Minimum 3 years writing and editing in the subject area at the high school level
• Experience writing or editing learner-centered and assessment-centered tasks a plus
• Teaching experience at the secondary level with knowledge of high school subject area curriculum
• College degree in the subject area
• Ability to prepare documents in Microsoft Word template
You will need to have a high-speed Internet connection, a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Netscape or Safari, software that will allow you to view .pdf files (Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free download) and the ability to read and manipulate Microsoft Office documents. Apply Here