[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Settle a bet and help me win a new dishwasher • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Settle a bet and help me win a new dishwasher

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Whic site is more effective?

My site
25%
Hybby's site
75%

Total votes : 4

Settle a bet and help me win a new dishwasher

Postby juliep » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:00 pm

My husband and I have been at odds over what kind of website works. He's been reading all the marketing books and wants to follow the rules. I'm pretty much tired of all the marketing hype and bluster that we're constantly being barraged with on the net.

So we made a bet. I'm betting that more visitors will respond to my website than his and if I'm right he has to buy me a new dishwasher.

It's possible that I'm being completely naive and totally out to lunch here. That's why I'm asking for your help. If it's not too much trouble, would you please visit both sites and let me know which one you prefer?

Thanks very much.

Julie

ps - Don't vote for mine just to be nice. If you hate it, please let me know. The old dishwasher still works ...sort of.
juliep

Postby stephfoster » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:38 pm

I haven't voted yet because I'm thinking about it.

Yours needs more information about the wheel. Too much focus on the contest.

His has too much hype for my taste. However, he also makes some very good points.
stephfoster

Postby webturtle » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:50 am

Hi -

I just voted for your Hubbys site. Why? Because it answered all my questions. What is this thing. Who would want it. How much it costs. What you get. What features and benefits it has. What other people think of it. Etc.

Now, I hear ya - those "kinds" of sites do sometimes make me nauseous. But, if you want to sell something, honestly, there is something to be said about that style WHEN the person reading is the right target. I am not - no kids - but I pretended like I was. And your site did absolutely nothing for me. Didn't tell me a thing. Just whined about how your husband had this other site and talking about the dishwasher. Dishwasher? Why would I possibly care if you have a dishwasher? (I'm not being mean here - just thinking like a prospect).

Frankly, by the end of yours I couldn't wait to get to his to find out what the danged thing was and voila, there was every answer I was looking for. I might have even bought it if I'd had kids who were misbehavin'.

And, this from someone who hates these kinds of web sites usually. I think that when there truly IS a unique product with stand out features and benefits, it is a GREAT WAY to create a product site. Where I get nauseous is when the product or service is not "one of a kind!", does not "make you XXXX whatever", is not really "high quality" and so on - in other words, when it IS HYPE and not reality.

Kudos to your hubby on a very well written sales letter. And good luck to you :) I am glad to see you guys having fun with this, even if i had to dampen your parade a little.
webturtle

Postby webturtle » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:53 am

PS. You can tell him that I also said to knock it off with the unrelated ebooks and bonuses. Assuming everything else he says is true (if over hyped) that is the one area that came across inappropriate or misguided. Why would you have romance rekindling and home business ebooks there as bonuses? I'd stick to parenting and child rearing issues for the bonuses, strictly. Otherwise, it DOES feel like he's selling ginsu knives ;)
webturtle

Use Both!!!!!

Postby brendasue311 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:54 am

I love how when I clicked on your website first, I got the feeling that your website was talking to me "personally", then when you directed me to his site, then I got all the information there. It left me with a warm feeling, like I can trust you when I looked at your site and when you pointed me to his site, I got great, easy to understand information. I would use both!! Great job to the both of you!!
brendasue311

Postby seafoam » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:29 pm

For me they were both way toooo long.

So I voted for neither.
seafoam

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:49 pm

I see that you are trying to be more personal on your page, Julie - which I think is a good tactic. That said, I dont think your target market (parents) will understand all of what you are saying - or get the point. If you were targeting internet marketers, no problem. But most parents that come online and search behavior issues or solutions may not "get" what you are talking about in regards to online marketing.

Try a personal approach that really targets your ideal reader... and use that in combination with the super sales letter your husband has put together.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity