[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Add-on Domains • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Add-on Domains

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Add-on Domains

Postby nar321 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:59 pm

What qualifies for a Add-on Domain? I tried to make a domain a add-on and was told by the Web Host(BlueHost) that a primary domain can't be added on.

Both domains in question are hosted by BlueHost, does that make a difference?
nar321
Elite Member

Postby Russell Portwood » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:41 am

Russell Portwood
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:42 pm

Your linked to bluehost reply was exactly what I tried to do with no luck on completing. So I then contacted Bluehost Support who informed me that since the domain in question is a "primary"(whatever that means)it can't be a add-on

From what I've Googled a Hostgator Reseller account should accomplish what I'm trying to do. Expense will be about the same, but all three domains would then be under one roof. I already have a HostGator account
nar321
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 pm

If I remember correctly, the "primary" domain name is the one you signed up for your hosting account with (primarydomain.com). To add other domain names (domain1.com, domain2.co, etc) you have to add them as "addon" domains in your "primary domain" cPanel.

Once you have the main account setup, you cannot change the "primary domain" around anymore as that is now your main (primary) account.

I believe that's probably the issue you were having.

Did I make any sense? heh heh

8)
CorpRebel

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:06 pm

Just to add to my previous post ...

Having a reseller account means you can give EACH new account it's own control panel (cPanel) as they are totally separate accounts now unlike using addon domains under one primary account.

Hope I haven't confoozed you! :lol:

8)
CorpRebel

Postby nar321 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Makes sense the way you explain it. So based on what you say I could add-on the Domains at Hostgator since they are hosted at Bluehost and wouldn't be considered primary Domains by Hostgator, right?

Looks like the least complicated might be to get a reseller account at Hostgator and move the 2 Bluehosted Domains to Hostgator. Bluehost doesn't have reseller accounts so doing the reverse isn't possible.

Thanks for clearing this matter up
nar321
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 pm

CorpRebel

Postby nar321 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 pm

Thanks for answering my questions and due to expense will probably go with add-ons. Will see what Hostgators moving offer really entails and more specifically if it even applies to add-ons. Oh well isn't the first time I've jumped hosts
nar321
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:18 am

CorpRebel

Postby nar321 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Once again Thanks. Yes,BlueHost has cpanel, so it looks like all i need to do on my own is re point the Name Servers. Will contact HostGator and get the best procedure from them.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby doc333 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:25 am

CorpRebel,
That was a great solution post
doc333

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting