[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - I Need Some Advice • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

I Need Some Advice

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

I Need Some Advice

Postby jeana900 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi All,

I need advice on how to drive customers to my hosting website. I wish to know if it really is possible. What type of time span are we talking about? And what steps should I take.

Blessings,
jeana900

Postby Paul Cooley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Paul Cooley
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:37 am

well, no offense, but you won't get many customers with your pricing for the packages you are offering.

I think you should look around the net and do some comparison shopping.

see what the hosting industry is doing by visiting here:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:13 am

Pricing is about value, not competition, so if you are over-delivering on the value you provide with hosting, don't worry about pricing yet...until your market tells you so.

As for traffic...there are a TON of ways:

- Articles
- Social Marketing with an attached blog to your domain
- Blogging in and of itself
- Forum marketing (properly)
- Surveys (the advice given above is excellent)
- many more...

We would need to know your objectives, what you are trying to accomplish, what you have done already etc...

The doctors need to know more about your pain Jeana. :)
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am

After looking at your site though...I will say that you could use some help with the "confusion" I detect on your main page.

It isn't clear to me what your specials are...there is a link in the top right center...but that should be explained on the main page...not hoping I will click the link.

Just some more feedback.
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:53 am

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:34 pm

JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:19 pm

I am not arguing about the principal of what you are saying. I am talking about what consumers are doing, and what the hosting market is doing.

You probably understand about how hosting works.

I understand how hosting works. joe public doesn't.

If my hosting package deal is;

gazillion MB of space
gazillion MB of bandwidth
gazillion emails
gazillion databases
$4 a month.

your hosting package is;
150MB of space
100MB of bandwidth
10 email accounts
1 database
$20 a month
however, we do offer extras,
we own our own servers,
we have technobabble this
and technobabble that.

so our package is worth the extra cost .

guess what, joe, doesn't know what technobabble is
and he doesn't care.

what joe sees is that he can get gazillions of stuff for only $5 a month instead of a little bit of stuff for $20 a month.

The people that spend more money for something than they have to, because they percieve it to have more "value", are the people with plenty of money to spend anyway.

That is not joe. joe will always take the cheaper price unless he has a very strong reason not to.

hey, I have been in the hosting business in the past, I understand how it all works, and I still go for the cheapest hosting package I can get.
That is because, most of the them are all the same.
The biggest difference in the "value" and therefore the prices, is the support , and I rarely need it.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:59 pm

JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:14 pm

wait, wait, I am getting wound up again.....

watch this, hold my beer!

are you ready?

I agree with you.

damn that hurt.

just kidding.

I do agree and that was my point.

( I hope my point doesn't go to my head!)

Ok, to expound on one of my other points.

Hosting is hosting. You have hardware and software and you buy bandwidth from the biggies and you sell it all to joe.
You also sell the same stuff to sally. I mean the same stuff, like if you only have a jigabyte of storage you sell it all to joe and then you sell it all to sally as well.
If you have a 4 lane highway of bandwidth, you sell it all to joe and to sally as well.

You then hope that neither joe or sally will use very much of it because you want to sell it all to larry tomorrow.

Now, because all of this hardware and software and bandwidth is so cheap to supply, and you know that nobody is going to use even a tenth of what you sell them, you can sell it all to joe and to sally and to larry at a very very low price.

If all of that is true, then there is not much incentive to offer better service, or associated products/services and charge the kids more money.
It is just not worth the effort. You will make much more money treating the kids like mushrooms. ( you know, keeping them in the dark and feeding them bull.... oops, sorry. you get the point. )

So , along comes robert and joseph. two wild and crazy guys. ( I may be dating myself with that reference to SNL ).
robert and joseph are very savy internet consumers. they have been around the block a few times.

well, robert has been around the block way too many times. but , I digress...

robert and joseph are in the market for some hosting.

joseph says, " I want quality hosting, I want that hosting account that costs $25 a month for a few MB and only 1 database and a couple of emails. They must be good or they wouldn't cost that much.
I know, if I want to put up another webpage, I will have to upgrade the account to add another few MB for another $10 a month, but hey, they have good support and will submit my site to 1,000 search engines for me for free.

robert says, hey, I want the gazillion package. I may want to run a bulletin board like Lynn has , and maybe install some BANS sites or a couple of WP blogs. I will need all that space and bandwidth but I only can afford $5 a month so why should I have less and pay more for it.

I can't go on, I can't go on.....

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:54 pm

robert,

You are funny :lol:

I have almost split my sides...
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:55 pm

I just love debating a little when it is appropriate, because I think it adds value to the thread.
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:45 am

I had da bait, but the fish took da bait, so I aint go none of da bait left.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby jeana900 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:37 am

jeana900

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting