[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Addon Domains - How to add a new domain name to my account • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Addon Domains - How to add a new domain name to my account

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Addon Domains - How to add a new domain name to my account

Postby jacquelynrose » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:51 am

How do I add a domain to an existing hosting account? (for a WordPress Blog?)
jacquelynrose

Postby Jim Guinn » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:08 am

From your domain name control panel choose "forward". Type in the full URL to the folder you have your new site in on your hosting account....something like http://www.myhostingaccount.com/newsite.

That will forward the domain to the correct folder, but the URL in the viewer's address bar will look exactly like... http://www.myhostingaccount.com/newsite, so you should also "mask" the forward. Masking a forward will make the forward look like anything you want to the viewer....example... http://www.mynewsite.com

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby jacquelynrose » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Thank you

But I have Paid Hosting for another domain on this Host and I want to add another one, I do not want to forward it...
jacquelynrose

Postby bs28723 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Jackie,

First, you have to verify that your account will allow add-on domains. You can check this in the cpanel. Look in the left column under general account info. It should have a line that says Addon Domains 0/2 or something like this. Make sure it does not say 0/0, which means you can't create add-on domains with this account. You can talk to your hosting company and they will be glad to add this for a small fee :( , or you can upgrade you account.

Assuming you can add at least 1 addon domain, then you need to first click on subdomains button and add a subdomain. The domain or directory where you plan to install wordpress can be called anything. It does not have to match your domain, but it might help you if you setup multiple domains to have them close.

Now, click on the addon domains icon in cpanel and enter your new domain name, for "username/subdomain name:" put in the subdomain you created above and give it a password.

Click add. That should do it.
Except for the Name server changes that I mentioned in my reply to your other thread.

Let me know if you have more problems.
bs28723

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:11 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:14 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby jacquelynrose » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:02 am

Thanks it did work....kind of...

But I still have jackiesbizblog.jackiescruisetips.com and I want it to be a single domain jackiesbizblog pointing to my hosted wordpress...ugh :(
jacquelynrose

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:17 am

Use HostGator's online support - they'll help you out in a jiffy ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jim Guinn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:48 am

Jim Guinn

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah but this is an addon domain - all you have to do is change the nameservers, then add the addon domain in cpanel...

Did you contact HostGator? If so, what did they say?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby jacquelynrose » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:58 pm

I own the domain...

I will do it tonight Lynn, sigh....oh this has taken me over a week!
jacquelynrose

Postby Jim Guinn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:01 am

Jim Guinn

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jim Guinn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:09 pm

I didn't know they handled it, and I have been using them for 3 years. :oops: After I set up the addon, I always redirect from my GoDaddy domain reseller panel. Thanks for straightening me out!

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby jacquelynrose » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:01 pm

jacquelynrose

Next

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting