[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Paid vs Free Membership Questions • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Paid vs Free Membership Questions

Join us here to discuss community-based websites or business-models. Scripts, resources, marketing, management, profitability & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Paid vs Free Membership Questions

Postby edwinnyc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 am

edwinnyc

Re: Paid vs Free Membership Questions

Postby robert adams » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:33 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby KnoxWAHM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 pm

Edwinn:

I'm kind of in the same boat in that I'd like a forum where some perhaps pay and others don't - still mulling over potential revenue streams in the elite member folder here.

Anyways, I've found SMF (Simple Machines) and phpBB, both free options and both have what a mod that for payment.
KnoxWAHM
Elite Member

Postby karynsolo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:12 pm

I would think that you would want to offer a free option to the members of the forum and charge those who want to advertise so that your site costs are covered and you make a little extra on the side for your time and efforts.
karynsolo

Thanks guys.....if use my host provider

Postby edwinnyc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Thanks guys..

Hey Robert what's up....if I use my host provider little confused about this yet, are you saying I can build a website like the one I have, and password protect a section of that site for members only. So are you referring to my existing website and password protecting that one, so if this is possible robert what would be the advantages or disadvantages of just using my site and password protecting it vs getting a free software as know recommended or some paid version of simple machines recommended by knox

Hi knox .....

Looked over simple machines....wonder about what it may lack is growth capabilities hummmm just thought of that...dahhhhh which way did go george..he went that a way george that wayyyyy ...lol

I think, I need to think about if I set up a site to do this well what software out there can I use and what should I be asking myself about what growth unexpected growth I will encounter that I will have to deal with and what growth capabilities certain programs will give me vs others

We have to think about tomorrow and what can it bring, if I do not think about these things I can pay a price, so maybe I should also be asking if I have to upgrade will it be difficult to switch to some thing more

Are there different types of membership sites, advanced hummmm

Now I am making myself nervous....lol robert what do you think what about you other guyssssss........edwin
edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:22 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:42 pm

Now about my previous post on using your hosting provider.

you can go to your hosting control panel,
the place where you go to create new email addresses, new databases, etc, etc.

If you are using a hosting company that offers "CPANEL" then you access it like this:

yourdomain.com/cpanel

from there you will find a link to a place that allows you to password protect a directlry/folder on your website.

once you have that done, then you put whatever you want to protect into that directory/folder and that is it.

here is an example I just did for you to see.

http://phpbbace.com/edwin/

password: test

here is a video on how to do this:

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

password protecting the site

Postby edwinnyc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Robert what would be disadvantages if i were to use my own site to accomplish what it is i wish to do if I were to do it.
thanks.edwin
edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:19 pm

not sure I understand.

how would you do whatever it is you want to do, if you did not use your own site?

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

well ....

Postby edwinnyc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:36 pm

not sure myself but would want to have others pay to view information, so actually it would not be the advertisers paying it would be the people whom like to view the info, so if this could be done somehow on my site for now it could work...:>)
edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:45 pm

you need to explain a little better what you are trying to do.

having people pay for access to info is fine.
that is not what you said before, you said you wanted to charge people to look at ads.

did you go look at the sample I linked you to?

did you ssee the log in box and did you log in and see the page I put up.

you can do the very same thing on your site.
then anything you want people to pay to see, you put in that folder that is protected by the login box.

then you charge people to get a username and password.

that is a very basic manually operated system that works very well.

try it out for yourself. I also linked you to a video that shows you how to do it if your hosting control panel is cpanel.
If it is not, then it will be something similar.

If you tell me who your host is, I can tell you exactly how to do it.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

hey robert u got me smiling

Postby edwinnyc » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:09 am

Ok...checked out what you did so this is an option what I do not know what may be the limitations. Liked your cop made me put a smile on face...lol Thanks needed that...lol

Can not openly talk about here or anywhere my idea robert since it is a new idea and could be picked up if not careful.
edwinnyc

Re: hey robert u got me smiling

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:22 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Yea robert...

Postby edwinnyc » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:50 pm

edwinnyc

Return to Portals, Forums & Membership Sites