[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Blogging Strategy For The Content Deprived • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Blogging Strategy For The Content Deprived

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Blogging Strategy For The Content Deprived

Postby Kirk » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:14 am

I started this as an experiment for a site that had absolutely zero traffic - nada, zippo. The site had a specific theme that could be built out into literally hundreds of pages, but I had only built 25 pages at the time. I had done several blogs for other sites, but wasn't sure how to approach building content for this new site...then I got a simple idea - just journal the progress of building the site.

I installed Wordpress at /blog under the root, found a Wordpress theme to closely match the color scheme, and added a single link to the blog on the site's home page. Following that, I put together a plan that outlined what pages I was going to add to the site for the next 30 days.

Every day over my morning tea, I add a new page of content and then go straight into Wordpress and write a couple of paragraphs about the page I just added - some history, personal experience, others experience, etc. In the entry, I'm sure to use the keyword phrase in the entry's title, cross link the first occurance of the keyword in the entry to the newly added page on the site, and bold a couple of other occurances of the keyword in the article. Post and I'm done for the day.

What have been the results 10 days into my plan? Here's the background. I setup this site back in August with about 25 pages of content - no blog, no linking campaign, no PPC. At one point in September, MSN was sending me about 20 visitors a day, but that dried up after a couple of months - not surprising since I never updated the site (or even logged into it).

After 10 days of my incremental build/blogging experiment, I'm getting 130 visitors a day from Google (mostly) with a growth rate of about 7% to 8% per day. That may not sound like much, but given the micro-niche this site is based on, I'm thrilled...and the extra revenue is nice too ;)

Since the process is so simple, I've already started working on a procedure/checklist so I can outsource the work for other sites I own.

To any blogging experts out there (Teli, Lynn, are you out there?) - how can this strategy be optimized further?
Kirk

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm curious - did you get any new inbound links? Or did you submit your new WP blog to the blog/feed directories? Is it possible that the blog itself is not causing these results - but the recent activity/links instead?

Should make for a great discussion!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Kirk » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:17 pm

Kirk

Postby Steve MacLellan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:00 am

Hi Kirk,

Maybe you already know this, but Robin Good maintains a list of directories to submit your blog to. He calls it the top55, but I just checked and it looks more like 162.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/rss/top55/

Regards,
Steve MacLellan
Steve MacLellan

Postby theuniek1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:34 pm

First, congratulations on the results Kirk.

When you ping technorati and it spiders your site, it will index all of your pages.

Though you haven't promoted your links or had any new inbound links to your sites, the pinging really does help (when done properly - over pinging can get you banned).

If you want to further leverage the power of Technorati, start using tags with your blog entries.

Steve posted a link to the Top 55 - make sure to submit your blog to each of them.

And don't forget, people are actually actively searching Technorati, and other blog search engines each and every day you may be getting some new readers through that avenue as well.

~Teli
theuniek1

Postby Kirk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:04 pm

Kirk

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:38 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Steve MacLellan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:32 am

Steve MacLellan

Postby theuniek1 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:52 pm

theuniek1

Postby Steve MacLellan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Steve MacLellan

Postby theuniek1 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:48 pm

Last edited by theuniek1 on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theuniek1

Postby Steve MacLellan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Steve MacLellan

Postby theuniek1 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:54 pm

theuniek1

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging