[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Perfect Permalinks • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Perfect Permalinks

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Perfect Permalinks

Postby AlexNewell » Sun May 24, 2009 6:41 am

Having recovered from Permalink Panic (see Post) thanks to Chris and Loretta I can now choose the permalinks I want.

What's your advice for permalinks?

I normally use

/%category%/%postname%/

on yoast.com the advice is - post title, blog name

(http://yoast.com/40-wordpress-optimisat ... mpaign=rss )

So what do you use and why?

Thanks!

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby cwboaze » Sun May 24, 2009 9:21 am

Hi Alex,

well now, I use

/%postname%

the reason why, is pure SEO.
it's the best thing you can use for getting
the search engine to index quality URL's
very friendly.

the problem is probably 4/10 plugins will
fail using this, because their use of the
permalink can break your system.

Now, before using /%postname% I used,
/archives/%post_id% and didn't get as good
results by search engines as postname.

now if you have /%postname%/ it can break
plugins as well, even more. because it has
trouble with some plugins adding // on URL's.
cwboaze

Postby AlexNewell » Sun May 24, 2009 9:44 am

Thank you Chris.

I want the best SEO possible to get targetted traffic and /%postname%/ is a good 'en

When you say

"the problem is probably 4/10 plugins will
fail using this, because their use of the
permalink can break your system."

are you referring to the redirect plugin you advised or the permalink system I usually use?

All The Best

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby cwboaze » Sun May 24, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Alex,

nope not that plugin!, it's more of the difficult plugins
like Video plugins, and plugins using the permalink
structure to create SEO links for their services.

and it's

/%postname%

not

/%postname%/

/%postname%/ creates problems with it's extra,
trailer trash, "/"

I was looking through this boards, Show off your blogs
and right many people use this permalink structure,
I personally like it and use it on all my blog.

A Additional must have plugin if your going
to use this structure or shoot any structure, is
the Google-Sitemap plugin, you talking about
search engine traffic :)

The only visual difference, between
/%postname%/ & /%postname%

is this

If you use /%postname%/

your URL Looks like this:
yourdomain.com/blog/blog-post-name/

and if you use /%postname%

your URL looks like this:
yourdomain.com/blog/blog-post-name
cwboaze

Postby AlexNewell » Sun May 24, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks Chris.

Yeah I do have the Google Sitemap plugin. I'm not too worried about videos although I normally get YouTube vids working with little or no bother.

Thanks for the heads up about the trailing slash!

:-)

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Re: Perfect Permalinks

Postby James Schramko » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:28 am

using the category will get you some nice rich category silos to bring in deep link traffic. It is going top be very strong for search engines.
James Schramko

Postby tknoppe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 am

Here's a pretty good article on this topic: http://tomuse.com/optimal-wp-url-organi ... cture-seo/
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby cwboaze » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:30 pm

nice article!
cwboaze

Postby lindastacy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:16 pm

When I started my blog several years ago I didn't make the wisest choice for permalinks, but I feel like changing now might have more negative than positive effects. Mine is /%archives%/%postname%/ and then I edit the postname to just the main words of the post title. I'd like to get rid of "archives" and have either just the postname or category/postname.
lindastacy

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging