[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Permalink Panic! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Permalink Panic!

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Permalink Panic!

Postby AlexNewell » Sat May 23, 2009 1:26 pm

I was just going through a Wordpress presentation

http://yoast.com/40-wordpress-optimisat ... mpaign=rss

and I got to the section on permalinks. Looking at the permalink structure on 2 of my blogs I find

/%post_id%/%postname%/

I know this sounds crazy but this is not how I set my blogs up...

I do a lot of experimentation but rewriting my permalinks is not what I do!

How do I get back to kind of normality without crazy redirect rules for each post?

I usually write permalinks as /%category%/%postname%/ but I'm open to a better way if you know one!

Any cures anyone for permalink panic?

:-)

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby cwboaze » Sat May 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Yeah, I have a cure.

go get this plugin:
http://scott.yang.id.au/code/permalink-redirect/

in the setting of this plugin under- Permalink Redirect

change the following:

Old Permalink Structures:

put

/%post_id%/%postname%/

or whatever it was

and then go to your permalinks manager, main for wordpress and change it to whatever you like, it will now redirect all old posts from the previous permalink to the new 1. simple but effective.

thats all you need to do unless you have
something special setup, like special character pages, and such. so just do the above and it should work like a charm.

be sure and copy you a few of your previous URL Links, to make sure when you do all of this, it works properly.

Hope this helps!
cwboaze

Postby terrapin719 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Yup, same thing Chris said is exactly what I did when I rewrote permalink structure on my blog last year. It doesn't have to be scary ;)
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby AlexNewell » Sun May 24, 2009 6:22 am

Thanks a lot for that advice Chris and Loretta - looks good to me.

Since I have an easy way to fix it I'll take a little while to decide which permalink structure to use and I'll post another question purely on that. No good wasting the opportunity!

Much appreciated!

:-)

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging