[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Which Permalink Structure is best? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Which Permalink Structure is best?

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Which Permalink Structure is best?

Postby Alan Petersen » Fri May 18, 2007 11:34 am

Hello, on my wordpress blog, I'm using the "Date and name based" permalink structure option. For SEO purposes is my choice fine or should I use a custom structure to take the date out?
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 18, 2007 12:47 pm

The date is only necessary if it is relevant to your posts or content. Usually it is not. I prefer category/post-title, but am currently using the post ID (number) and the post title on mine (just havent gone through the trouble of changing it).

It makes sense for the URL to contain relevant information about the page content, and not information that isnt useful to both humans and bots.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Alan Petersen » Fri May 18, 2007 5:51 pm

Thanks Lynn, that's what I was thinking, the url is soooo long with the date. I think I might be stuck though since I have some good sites linking to a specific post so if I change it, wouldn't it make those links to the date url go 404?
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:18 pm

theuniek1

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Alan Petersen » Sat May 19, 2007 12:58 am

The plugin option sounds good, I googled and found this one:

http://www.deanlee.cn/wordpress/permali ... on-plugin/

Teli, is that the one you were thinking about?

It looks this plugin creates a 301 redirect which should do the trick. I'm going to install the plugin on my sandbox blog which I only use for testing to see how it works. I'll report back here. :D
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby Alan Petersen » Sat May 19, 2007 9:15 am

I tested the plugin and it works very nice. Once activated it creates a "permalinks migration" tab in the options menu. You enter your soon-to-be old permalink structure there then you go the "permalinks" tab and select your new permalink structure. In my test I went from:
/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/

to:

/%postname%/

The old links to the posts with the year, month, day, and post name re-directed to the post with the new link without any issues and broken links. The plugin author states it won't affect SE rankings and you won't lose link love.

I'm off to change my links to /%category%/postname%/
:)
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Sat May 19, 2007 11:52 am

Yep, that's the one. :)
theuniek1

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging