[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Rebuilding Blog - Should I make the pages the same? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Rebuilding Blog - Should I make the pages the same?

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Rebuilding Blog - Should I make the pages the same?

Postby ChristyK » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:45 pm

I know that title is confusing, but here's my question. I had two wordpress blogs (decent traffic and some income) that were completely lost :( . My fault as I had a note sitting on my desk for weeks that said 'backup and move sites' but I did not do it, and sure enough the server crashed.

The first site I was able to mostly rebuild using the search engines' cache of the pages. I even figured out how to go into my database and change the post number so that every page URL was exactly as before. So now all the pages that were indexed are still working. I used permalinks that were more seo friendly on that blog so I knew exactly what to do to reproduce the site.

Now on the second site, I did not previously have any permalinks in place. So it was not very seo friendy. I am again going to try to rebuild using the cached pages, but I'm trying to decide if I should again try to make the url's exactly as they were before. For instance the previous url for a page would have been mysite.com/?p=23. Or should I make it more optimized this time?

There are 263 pages in google and more in the others. If I change the url approach, then the links currently in the serps will lead to my site but with a 'sorry not available post'. So they will still reach my site but those indexed pages will eventually fall out of the serps and will have to get all of the new ones in. Maybe this is not as difficult or tragic as I imagine?

My PR has already been lost :cry: and it is now grey-barred (though as I said, the pages are all still indexed in supplemental). So what do you think? Rebuild exactly as was or rebuild with better optimized permalinks?

Thanks for any feedback.

Christy

PS.. Reading through this I came to the thought that all pages are supplemental and it might be easier to get new pages into regular search than to pull the others out of supplemental. What do you think?
ChristyK
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Christy,
The ?p=# URL structure will always work with WordPress (if the post with that number exists).

You really only need to worry about getting 404s when you change back from using clean URLs or change the URL structure.

Hope that makes sense and I'm terribly sorry to hear about the data loss.

~ Teli
theuniek1

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging