[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Newsletter vs Blogging • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Newsletter vs Blogging

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Newsletter vs Blogging

Postby heather2 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:41 pm

I went and set up a newsletter but the more I thought about it, the more I thouht that a newsletter isn't right for my site. Since it's a job/resume site, hopefully the visitor's needs will be met very quickly and will no longer need my site (until they want another job!).

So now I think I should replace it with a Blog. I would have posts on there answering questions and people could post to discuss their experiences.

Do you think it would be a horrible idea to do this? All I hear about is how EVERYONE needs a list but for this one, I don't see it as truly beneficial.

Thoughts?
heather2

Postby Lynette » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:52 pm

Lynette

Postby Kevin Robb » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:14 am

Heather,

Just a little tip if you decide on using a Blog to keep in touch with your clients.

You can set up a subscriber alert box on your Blog, If your client signs up they will get an email every time you post something new on the site.

Refer them to your Blog at your initial consultation, advise the benefit it offers and the reason why they should subscribe.

Just my two cents.

Cheers :wink:

Kevin Robb
Kevin Robb

Postby Steve MacLellan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:29 am

Steve MacLellan

Postby MikeS » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:52 am

MikeS

Postby heather2 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:46 pm

heather2

Postby theuniek1 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:36 pm

I'll agree with most of what's already been said. Email marketing and blogs are two separate fields, however, your website may be able to benefit from having a blog.

And as Kevin and Steve already mentioned, you can install a plugin which sends an email to your subscribers each time the blog is updated.

You can also mix and mingle - for a couple of my blogs, I blog the newsletter and that gets sent out as a notification email just like a traditional newsletter. Other blogs I don't use the plugin to notify of new entries, I use it as a mailing list manager to send out a 'weekly round up' of the previous week's posts.

As for the available plugins - there are a number of them. I know Expression Engine also comes with mailing list software built in.

If you're using WordPress, there are more than a few options available. I've personally used and tested a number of them and recorded my thoughts in an entry on finding

Each has their strength and weaknesses and it will depend on what you truly hope to achieve with your blog.

You also should consider that blogs can afford you a wider range of exposure through RSS and blog search engines/directories so you're not limited to just a few sources of new readers.

Just my 2 cents - hope it helps out :)
theuniek1

Postby heather2 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:00 am

Thanks, Teli! I have heard a lot about Wordpress so I need to read up on it. Thanks for the link to your reviews.

And yes, your 2 cents helped :D
heather2

Postby MikeS » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:21 am

MikeS

Postby wahmjennie » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:53 pm

Are there any paid email notification services for blogger besides bloglet?

I am looking for one that will grab a summary of the entire weeks posts and send them as a weekly email to subscribers.

Anyone know of one?

Thanks,
Jennie
wahmjennie

Postby kidino » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:54 pm

kidino
Elite Member

Postby Ellen C. Braun » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:30 pm

Ellen C. Braun
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:47 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ellen C. Braun » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:18 pm

Ellen C. Braun
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:44 pm

This is an awesome new addition to - I was just reading over that this morning. Thanks for posting it here as well!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging