[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Where to start with Wordpress • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Where to start with Wordpress

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Where to start with Wordpress

Postby MommyEnterprises » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:00 am

I started my first blog with blogger, then my second and third, LOL.

I want to setup one with Wordpress. I have heard with Wordpress you can schedule posts and that is something I would want to use. I would like to schedule a whole week's worth of posts at one time.

Where does one begin with Wordpress?
MommyEnterprises

Postby kidino » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:00 pm

With Wordpress .. first get it installed. Some CPanel-based hosting has Fantastico where WordPress would be ready for installation.

As for the scheduled posts, just put them in future dates ... it'll do it.
kidino
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:34 pm

Honestly - at the beginning :) - hehe...okay, like Kidino already mentioned, you'll need to get it installed.

1. Get it installed
2. Customize your general settings/options (under the general tab) - you'll be able to give your blog a slogan, name, update admin email and timezone
3. Then set up some categories
4. Start posting...
theuniek1

Postby theuniek1 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi again Stefani,
Your question inspired me to write a quick article on what to do after installing WordPress.

I've posted it in the forum in the articles section:

Hope it provides some extra insight :)
theuniek1

Postby Hock Ng » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:33 pm

Hock Ng

Postby altyfc » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:45 am

I did my first few blogs with Blogger also, but is with Wordpress. It gives you much greater flexibility than something Blogger so firstly, I'd like to say you're right to make the switch.

Secondly, as someone else has pointed out, you need to look at downloading and installing it.

And finally, if you get stuck, there's also the Wordpress support forums at http://wordpress.org/support/

Aaron
altyfc

Postby CorpRebel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi All!

Hope 2006 is going well for you all so far.

Teli is a GREAT WP resource herself. This forum is fortunate to have her here at SSWT. :mrgreen:

I also came across another "kewl" WordPress resource at:

http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/

Nice & organized too! :wink:

Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel 8)
CorpRebel

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:36 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:57 am

MommyEnterprises

Postby Fiachra Kavanagh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi Stefani,

I think your blog looks nice, but I think the center section is too narrow and that the blue columns at the side are way too wide.

also I see you link all your sites together, and I believe that is bad SEO, or so I have been told.

Also I think you are suffering from the Pinging problem that many wordpress users are suffering from - see my seperate post

cheers

Fiachra
Fiachra Kavanagh

Postby theuniek1 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:46 pm

Rick and Lynn,
Ya'll are entirely too kind :D - thank you. I'm glad to be here.

Stefani - one way around the "no candle" problem is to do a quick search at and create your own header (make it the same size as the current one) and upload it to the theme folder. Instant custom theme.

I also agree with Fiachra that the content column is entirely too narrow (but that's a personal opinion). This can be helpful if you're only planning to post the occasional one or two liner, but it looks like you're going to be publishing some serious content (and by that, I mean at least 3-5+ liners).

Fiachra - what separate post are you referencing?

~Teli
theuniek1

Postby Fiachra Kavanagh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:01 pm

Wordpress Pinging problem
Fiachra Kavanagh

Postby theuniek1 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Link?
theuniek1

Postby MommyEnterprises » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:29 pm

I don't think this will be the theme/template that I will use but I had to find something besides the default template to start with.

I plan on posting to this blog almost daily so I will definately want bigger area for my content. If the blog was to go well, I was thinking of paying to have a custom template made for it :)
MommyEnterprises

Postby Fiachra Kavanagh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:54 pm

Fiachra Kavanagh

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging