[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Choosing an Autoresponder or Mailing List Manager • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Choosing an Autoresponder or Mailing List Manager

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Choosing an Autoresponder or Mailing List Manager

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:44 pm

Years ago, when I set up my first mailing list, I started out by using the newsletter script that my web host provided with my hosting account. At first it seemed to be okay - I had 100 subscribers, then 200 subscribers, then 400 subscribers...

But I found out that the system gets quirky when you get up around 1,000 subscribers (actually 800 or more). ALSO, you should know that you are using your hosts "mailservers" to send out those emails to your list. What I didnt know at the time was that most host's mailservers get "blacklisted" all of the time.

And you know what? They are not in the email marketing business, and they dont really care. In fact, most of them will tell you straight out "that is a 3rd party script and we dont offer support for it" (ignoring the fact it is THEIR mail servers causing the problem).

To make a long story short, I found out that the majority of my subscribers were not getting my emails at all. As for Constant Contact and Topica, they have been blacklisted by certain major ISP's for years. Unless you have a close friend that signs up for your list and then TELLS you that they didnt get your email, you'll likely never know who isnt getting it.

When I switched to Aweber a couple of years ago, well - I was skeptical about spending $19.95/month after having my list set up free with my hosting account before. Of course, if you look at the pricing structure of Topica and Constant Contact, you'll see that as your list grows... they charge a whole lot more than 20 bucks!

Anyway, I decided to "go for it"... and that was the best decision I ever made. Like I said, I didnt realize how many people werent even getting my emails... but when I started publishing my newsletter through Aweber - my response rate went sky high!

People were replying to my newsletter, there was a huge spike in sales, etc - it was a BIG difference! Aweber is the industry leader in mailing list management... it IS their 'job' to make sure they stay whitelisted, and they continue to boast "the highest delivery rate in the industry".

That initial experience got me hooked - but it's all of their features that have kept me as a loyal customer. They provide very detailed stats, including how many people opened your email - or which links were clicked on in your message. They also tell you where each subscriber came from (which page or which link they used). They let you split-test subject lines, to see which one gets the highest "open rate" (which one gets more people to open the email). It's unreal what all they offer...

Of course, as already mentioned, you can set up as many lists as you want in one account. That is newsletters, autoresponders, you name it - it's unlimited. And now they have a brand new feature in our accounts called the Feed Broadcaster - anyone who has a blog will love this!

I have a post about it and an example on my own blog, which you can see here: http://clicknewz.blogspot.com/2005/12/f ... aster.html

This is my link to Aweber: http://sswt.aweber.com . You can sign up for the free trial, set up your own account, or even sign up for the affiliate program. I will get credit if you use my link, of course - which would just make my day ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kandmj » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:26 pm

kandmj

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:34 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby ElevatingYourBusiness » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:14 am

How would you compare Aweber to Automation Station?
ElevatingYourBusiness

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby blackjava » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:21 pm

Aweber is one of the original AR's and has been around for years.
It is with out a doubt, the best in the business.

Bob
blackjava

Postby davidwheatley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:54 am

Hi there ,

Autoresponders !! I looked at autoresponders and it was a close run race between AWeber and Getresponse. I eventually chose the latter, simply because I knew a person who had Getresponse.

However, I have wondered ever since if I made the right choice. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with Getresponse. in fact there seems to be very little between their package and AWeber. No, it's just that I, personally, have found the operating instructions for the system at times almost impossible to follow. Yes, they do have a good customer service backup, but It's very frustrating and time consuming to have to find answers to questions that needn't be asked if only they would sort out and have clearly explained instructions.

I think the problem is that the people who write the copy also design the system, and therefore assume that everybody understands it inside out as they do. It's an issue right across the board with the I.T. industry. Accidental Mystification, The legal profession has got away with it for years, although I'm not so sure in their case that one can use the word "accidental".

It's a shame because the I.T challenged individual like myself can spend hours seeking an answer or an explanation to a simple question.
Does anybody else have this problem or am I the only Neanderthal left in this I.T. saturated existence?.

UGGH !!

David

+
davidwheatley

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:02 am

You make a good point David - and I'm sure GetResponse would love to hear that feedback. It may encourage them to rewrite their help files ;)

In the meantime, if you have any questions - feel free to post them here at the forum. There are other GR users that can likely help you out.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

New AR accounts

Postby rayh2 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:37 pm

rayh2

Re: New AR accounts

Postby blackjava » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:07 pm

blackjava

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:16 pm

That's true - only a certain number of your subscribers will verify their subscription when you switch over, but there are things that you can do to increase the conversion rate. Those that dont verify, obviously arent ideal subscribers anyway, so its not a huge loss. They either arent reading your emails, or they are no longer interested in your content/offers.

That said, to make the transition as smooth as possible you want to email your subscribers through your current system and let them know to expect the verification email. It also helps to give them some incentive to verify their subscription. Making all of it as personalized and personal as possible helps lead them through the process.

You might offer a freebie of some kind upon confirmation, which you can put in the follow-up response through Aweber once they verify. You'll know best what will entice your readers to stay on board ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:07 pm

I've been looking at getting an AR and starting some kind of newsletter or something. 20/month seems like a big price, but I would hate to get a good list started using something free and then have the hassle of trying to change it over. This program as you say will do pretty much everything that needs to be done. Going to sign up now - Thanks Lynn.
Heather

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:52 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby johndilbeck » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:35 pm

Lynn,

How do you use your Aweber account? Do you publish a newsletter, or several AR series, or both?

I've been trying to decide between Aweber and GetResponse for a couple of months. I want to publish a couple of newsletters and an AR series for the major products and services I promote.

I have a TrafficWave account and like it, even though it offers fewer features than Aweber and GetResponse. It is easy to use and offers lots of training materials.

I don't have much trouble writing websites and blogging, but it seems as if I have a block when it comes to autoresponders and newsletters. I don't know why, but this big brain of mine loves playing tricks on me and is having a wonderful time confuzzling me on these issues.

Any thoughts?

JD
johndilbeck

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:25 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders