[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Aweber Question: HTML -and- Plain Text Formats? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Aweber Question: HTML -and- Plain Text Formats?

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Aweber Question: HTML -and- Plain Text Formats?

Postby MommyEnterprises » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:58 pm

MommyEnterprises

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:20 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby MommyEnterprises » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:24 pm

MommyEnterprises

I do both

Postby mindy1978 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:58 pm

I send both. If I send a html message, I always include a text version as well. I was sending a formatted monthly html newsletter, and got a couple responses from my members. Those who didn't have html enabled on the email program, couldn't make any sense of the html newsletter. It was just a jumpled mess of html.

So to avoid some members missing out, I have moved to mainly text emails.

Have a great day!

Mindy
mindy1978

Postby Les » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:06 am

I know with html formatted emails it's nice to think you can get 'opening rate' stats and your messages look nice but...

You've got to be aware when sending html format emails that many people, and most corporate entities, will automatically not accept them for fear of something nasty getting on their system.

And of those html emails that do get through, many will get filtered to the junk bin.

Also, some popular email readers like Thunderbird, don't show images. So all the reader see's is a bit of a mess.

By the way, the 'Open Rate' feature is based on an invisible image in the message being called by the email client and the stat measured by Aweber.

So all this kind of negates accurate open rates and pretty messages.

A way round all this is to send a plain text message with a link to the new edition of your newsletter online, which is posted on your website. That way you get your opening stats, pretty pictures and formating, plus a new page as spider food for the search engine bots.

Les
Les

Postby Michael b » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:33 am

I send both. I start by writing all of my emails in plain text. This helps me keep it neat and clean and also converts easy to HTML with a copy and paste.

Having both also helps drop your SPAM score ranked on spam assassin as it sees anything with mainly html as spammy. <----- is that a word :)

It also helps the members who can't see HTML as noted by many others before hand.
Michael b

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:51 pm

I only send text.

As long as my links are intact, it gets the message across and it's nicely formatted, I'm a happy camper. :wink:

Regards,

Tony
Oregon Coast Guy

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders