This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

....How To Advertise Without Spending A Fortune.....

Offline Marketing tips and techniques - how to market your online business OFFline. Also discussing Offline Business set-up and strategy.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

....How To Advertise Without Spending A Fortune.....

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:08 pm

Hi Ya'll,

Here's a tip many may not be aware of. If anyone has other "I Never Thought Of That" insights....please share them as replies.

GENERATING PUBLICITY ON A ZERO BUDGET

The most overlooked method of generating publicity for your business can be had with three simple lines of text:

Your Name
Your Business Name or Your Domain Name
Your City and State

All over the world, there are newspapers, magazines, online ezines and websites. Every single newspaper, magazine and online ezine generally accepts and publishes "Letters to the Editor."

In addition, webmasters are generally looking for solid testimonials that they can use on their websites.

Just think, if you were to take the time to read a few publications or visit a few websites and take the time to notify the publisher of your thoughts, you might just find your comments being published in all sorts of locations. You never know just where your next paying customer might come from, so take the time to get yourself quoted in these media outlets. You might just find more and more traffic and sales coming from places where you would never think to buy advertising.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:11 pm

This is from my friend Diane Walker....

Press Releases are great ways to get free advertising. Lots of times small little papers are looking for things of interest and will pick up on that and it's free advertising for you.

Also join some local networking groups, and go to breakfast or lunch with them. Bring your business cards to exchange and make some new contacts.

In addition to regular business cards, I use cards offline without my name on them, just put the WEB URL, and a catchy quote. Look for locations around your area that have places to put out cards, some have bulletin boards, and places you can put them up free of charge.

Some folks tell me I'm crazy because I am limited my market to the net. That does NOT mean I ONLy work with people online, but if you find people that ARE Online, they can work with those they know OFFLINE.

It's just about geting the word out and looking for those that are a match.
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:11 pm

Most banks allow more room for your address than you need. And, they'll usually print whatever you want under your address -- what about putting your URL?

Everytime you write a check, circle the domain name and call attention to it by saying, "Hey, check us out on the Internet -- we're giving away some free....(whatever)"

I recently heard of one guy who literally uses his checks as business cards. They're unforgettable! Whenever someone asks for a card, he pulls out his checkbook and writes them a check for a dollar or some small amount.

He said that, out of 100 people, only 3 people would cash one -- the rest keep it in their wallet and show it to people, telling them the story of the guy who wrote them a free check.

Also, use a rubber stamp. When you pay your bills, when you mail letters, when you give out anything, make sure you rubber-stamp your URL or a catchy phrase on the item. It might just say "www.WhatIsNoniJuice.com" or it might say "Get an extra paycheck...seriously" with a phone number.

Some of these things might cost a few dollars to set up but, after that, they're free as can be.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:12 pm

Hi Ya'll,

I thought this was a pretty neat idea..........

Many states have "Adopt a Highway" programs. You adopt a section of highway and volunteer to pick up trash on the highway a couple times a year. The state puts up a sign saying something like "Adopt a Highway - Next 3 miles..." and then they list the company that adopted it, eg.

http://www.BlahBlahBlah.com

As long as that`s the name of your company, they can and will put your domain name on the sign.

By strategically selecting the area you "adopt", you could get some serious "traffic" looking at your sign. The most effective places for the signs are just before intersections where people have to slow down to make a turn.

The Adopt-A-Highway program is administered by the Department of Transportation in each state. Do a search in Yahoo or Google and you should find your state listed with the appropriate contact info.

If you have a website (company or self-created) this "adopt-a-highway" approach could get you some interesting prospect volume. You could also publicize your "groups" involvement in cleaning up the road as a community project...in your local paper. Nice "people first" publicity. And it makes for a fun team building excercise too.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:14 pm

Here's another "creative" method of marketing that will take some effort on your part....but no cash outlay.

Volunteer as a speaker for various business, educational, or other organizations.

Groups like your local Chamber Of Commerce, PTA, Garden Club, Hunt Club, Single Parents, Home Owner's Association, VFW, etc. hold meetings where they frequently need speakers. Do some research and find out all such groups in your area then contact them to volunteer your services as a speaker.

You'll have to do some work to prepare a talk pertinent in subject matter to their interest ... of course. But the event itself as well as the contacts you'll make create a great networking opportunity for you.

People will be curious about what you do. The host will obviously introduce you before you speak and include a little about "who you are". Just make friends and share as appropriate when appropriate.

This is more about branding yourself in the community and reaching large groups while doing it.

An added benefit of this method is the opportunity to hone your presentation/communication skills and practice simple networking.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:15 pm

Here's another one......pretty innovative too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

START YOUR OWN RADIO STATION

This week we drove by a house for sale. Instead of the familiar "For Sale" sign with a phone number, they had a sign for a radio station. It read, "For Sale, Learn more at 98.9 FM". We were not looking to buy a house, but this was so intriguing that we just had to tune in.

I have actually seen this same technology used in several places - Movie Theaters, Park Safari, Museums, even at a special Christmas light display in the city.

The basic idea is that you set up a small radio transmitter and broadcast your own message. Then everyone passing by can tune into your station and learn more about what you are doing.

You could use this concept to promote your website. Just set up a small radio transmitter that talks about your website, and then on the sign for your business (or on your front lawn) tell people to tune into your station to learn more. This will be especially effective if you are near a busy street.

Here is a twist on that concept.

Every local electronics store sells personal radio transmitters. They are designed to plug into your MP3 player and allow you to listen to MP3's in your car.

No one ever said that your MP3's have to be music. Instead set up a quick 15 second commercial for your website and set your player on loop. Then get a bumper-sticker or one of those car window or door signs instructing people to...
"Tune in to hear Trafficology.com at 88.1 FM".

The standard transmitter has a range of only 50-100 feet, which would work fine for stop 'n go traffic, but you could probably even find a "suped-up" one online. Although, 50 feet should be plenty of range for the guy sitting behind you in traffic to hear all about your website.

Also, election season is coming up. I'm sure everyone has seen that group of people standing near every major intersection in town. You know, those people holding up red & blue signs for one candidate or another. Well, put your MP3 player and your personal radio transmitter in your pocket and stand next to them. Everyone is already looking in that direction; just make yourself stick out with a bright yellow sign that says "Tune in to hear Trafficology.com at 88.1 FM".

Now, everyone driving by will be so curious that they will have to listen to a message about your website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:16 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW CYBER CAFE IDEA

The basic idea is to change the homepage of all the computers at a cyber-cafe, library, or college computer lab to your site.

---------------

Any city has many Internet cafes/icafes/cybercafes. Many have 100s of people passing through per day. Some icafes have their own home page others do not have any.

One way of generating free traffic is to ask the owner (after you have become a regular customer of course ;-) if you may make your website the default home page on a few or all computers. This is a wonderful branding opportunity.

For example they could agree to put a link to your page with a short description on their homepage.... which usually has links to the most popular sites visited by browsers like hotmail and yahoo.

One was able to create 500 visitors x 30 computers = 15 000 page views for FREE per month.

If they are not willing to do it for free, you can negotiate a monthly fee that both parties find acceptable. Now imagine doing it at every icafe in any city.

That could be 500 x 30 x # of icafes
(say 10) = 150 000 per month x 12 = 1,800,000 page views per year!

Admittedly some views are repeat views but the repeat view creates BRANDING because of constant exposure. With a CTR of 2% and a CVR of 3% that means 1080 unique sales of whatever it is that you sell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: I'm not too sure about the numbers they give...but at least you get the idea. It is different.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:17 pm

Here's yet another idea......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE MAGIC OF THE FISHBOWL

"Here's a simple idea that I've employed at trade shows and other events where tables can be had, such as at 'Business After Hours,' etc. Along with your table display, put a bowl for business cards with a sign explaining that, by dropping in a card, people can enter a drawing for a prize, and be signed up for a
"free newsletter."

Lots of people will drop in their cards, especially if the prize is a physical object you display on the table (Palm Pilots, Dilbert books, gift baskets, etc.)"

"After the event, subscribe everyone to your ezine, and make the first email you send out a nice one thanking everyone for visiting your table and announcing the winner. If you don't have an ezine, you can just send everybody a one-time email that begins with "Thank you for visiting our booth. The lucky winner of the Widget is...." Then, of course, you'd follow that up with an ad, preferably with some sort of consolation prize, like a special discount or a free download from your site."

"This is a very low-tech tip, but you'd be surprised how many people who would NEVER give out their email address online will turn into business-card-dropping freaks when you put a fishbowl in front of them."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:17 pm

Here's a tip I read in an ezine......

There are several barriers to offline advertising for an online site. #1 is that the client is seldom sitting at a computer when they see your ad and probably won't remember it later. #2 is that the viewer cannot take the ad with them.

This idea goes a long way toward solving these problems:

"We produced very basic ad copy to be put onto regular throwaway bar coasters and had them produced in quantity.(You can get some great rates on these with production costs well under a cent each.)

"The simpler the text, the better. We have successfully used things like 'Free Membership at www.yourcompany.com'.

"For very little extra, you can also have the back side printed and make it fun like we did with a certain client. The top side said...

"Don' t flip this over"

The bottom side said...

"The bad news is that you don't take directions well. The good news is that we like rebels. Get a FREE something at www.mycompany.com".

"Like every other company, beverage distributorships like to offer freebies to their client establishments. Client establishments like to get freebies, especially of items that they use every day. Patrons are intrigued by the ad and it is uniquely placed at a time when they are probably more carefree and open to suggestion.

"They can take the coaster with them since the waiter will probably toss it anyway and the coaster is small enough to fit into the pocket of a sports coat or handbag. Even if the patron has forgotten the coaster or the message, guess where that patron is the next time their hand slides into that coat pocket or pocketbook? Probably at work and in front of a computer."

Hmmmmm...........

Can you think of any ways you can use this idea for your NWM business????????

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:20 pm

Here's a timely idea.

High school basketball season has started. Communities can get pretty fanatical following their school team.

Here's a tip.

Every game has programs being sold. Find out who is in charge of the programs and get a sponsor ad inserted.

For example:

"FreedomFire Communications Wishes The Indian River Braves A Successful 2003 Season"

"Go BRAVES"

insert url or phone number etc.

You get the idea. Be creative and align yourself with the community. You'll get great visibility.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:20 pm

Here's a fun one.....

My oldest daughter is a cheer leader at her High School. For every football game (home & away) they carry with them a bag of small rubber footballs in school colors.

Every time our time scores the cheerlearders do a special "routine" then grab the bag....and throw footballs into the crowd.

They also throw the balls after special half time routines of select games....from their float during homecoming....and during parades they participate in.

The football has sponsor info on one side....courtesy of a small donation to the school.

Hmmm....see possibilities here?

I wouldn't necessarily offer a biz op....but how about something on a product with your website url included?

Brainstorm...I'm sure you could come up with some good ideas for what to put on there.

Also....high school football games aren't the only possibilities.

How about:

* colleges

* rec league cheer groups

* marching bands

* minor league baseball promotionals

* other sports like basketball

* School band

* School event sponsorships

Get some ideas?

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:22 pm

Here is a tip for getting more traffic and building public awareness of your domain (website) for those who want a lot of local traffic.

1) Go visit a restaurant or pub in your locality and ask them how many coffee / beer cups they require per month.

2) Tell them you will give cups to them for free but it has to have your domain or logo on it. If they don't agree add some free advertisement for them on your website to make the offer irresistible.

3) If you get the deal - Bingo ! Now you will get hundreds of people sipping coffee and getting to know about your domain. Soon you will start getting more traffic.

4) Call these owners frequently to ask if they need more cups. Don't hesitate to send the replacements.

Now...what you offer and where obviously has a bearing on your conversion rate. But with a liitle thought & effort the potential is there.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:22 pm

Here's some easy and inexpensive ways to make some Noise in your local marketplace and get you and your company noticed. In many cases you're not trying to deliver your product or service message but to let your local area or community know you exist and set a postive image for your business ... and maybe take a look at what you have to offer.

- Join the Chamber of Commerce (a cheap investment) and be active! Attend events, contribute door prizes for "mixers". Become an officer or join a committee.

- Write an article for your local paper or "Pennysaver" - an article that's not about you or your product but about the "problem" that you and your product solve.

- Join local service clubs such as Rotary, Lions, etc. and network

- Look for local businesses who are "complementary" to yours, e.g.. a health club/gym and a health/nutritional product. What could you do together that makes more Noise than either alone? Run a seminar, sponsor an event, buy a booth at a local craft or trade show?

- Offer a scholarship to your local high school for a graduating senior in your company's name. It can be for as little as $100 - $250 and creates a lot of positive visibility!

- Send announcements often to your local papers - almost anything can be newsworthy: a new product, attending a conference, earning a certification, even a new client or great sales year! Don't be shy!

All these ideas work BUT you have to do them constantly if you expect to see results!

What are you doing locally that's worked?

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:23 pm

The Cardboard Windshield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another idea from Trafficology that costs very little & could genertae some interesting leads if used well. Of course...adjust the "content" of what you put on the windshield sunscreen to fit your business & purpose (I doubt anyone here has a cat or coloring book MLM).

God Bless,
Michael

==========

The Cardboard Windshield

Here is an amazingly simple idea that everyone can do in only a few minutes:

Kathie Says:

I covered a cardboard windshield sunscreen with white paper, then stenciled "FREE COLORING BOOK" on it with colored ink.

At the bottom put my URL in black ink.

Now every time I park in a store parking lot I make sure to face the driveway so everyone coming and going sees my "billboard".

Kathie Freeman
http://www.catbook.biz
Catwalk, A Feline Odyssey
The (second) best cat book you'll ever read.

This ideas is not only easy, but it is also good marketing. Instead of just using her URL, Kathie provides an attention catching benefit.

All you have to do is use the headline from your website or you could also try using an offer for your free newsletter or eCourse.

One thing I would recommend is, try to tie the attention catching benefit to the product or service that you sell.

For example, if you sell Coloring Books, then "Free Coloring Books" will work... but if you sell cat related merchandise, then you may want to try "Free Cat Coloring Book".

Another option you may want to consider is writing a headline that will create curiosity (related to your product) ...and can only be answered by visiting your website. This will not only grab their attention, but will also encourage them to visit your site.
FreedomFire

Postby FreedomFire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:24 pm

Here's another inventive idea for you to chew on:

Participating in community charity activities. Just that simple....but with lot's of potential.

For example..... how about your group running in a local 5K for the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation.....all wearing T-shirts with your group/business name on it. Carry a sign across the finish line with "The Yada Yada company running for a cure" (or whatever....be more creative than that obviously....LOL). Talk to media covering the event. Network with fellow participants. Be involved.

How about your group volunteering to help at functions for your local YMCA ....or local library....or rec center....or PTA...or.... you get the idea.

Have something like a sign, banner, T-shirts that say who you are. But don't pass out brochures and company material. Just network and create visibility. Maybe have a few business cards in your pocket and hand them only to those who ask. You could also have brochures etc. in your car maybe.

Just DON'T make it look like a big marketing gimic. The public will see right through it. Instead create an identity & branding within your community. This establishes a sense of acceptance and curiosity you can build upon by following up with contacts made during these events.

We have a couple groups who apply this concept very well in our annual American Cancer Society Relay For Life. You could too.

Remember to adhere to any "rules" of the specific event sponsor and your particular company.

Basically....just be seen & have fun.

God Bless,
Michael
FreedomFire

Return to Offline Marketing and Offline Business