[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Creating a web site • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Creating a web site

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby sandy47 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:54 pm

Gee this is getting to actually be fun.

I sure hope one day I can be the one to help other poor confused newbies.

Sandy
sandy47

Postby tknoppe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Sandy
Did the article Bob sent provide you with everything you needed? If so, then I won't bombard with you anything else. :lol: If not, then let me know and I'll proceed.

I'll probably proceed anyway, because I believe there's a need, but my time frame might be a little different. :wink:
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:10 pm

FYI Word Press=Free Open Source Software used to make a Blog
Blog=Web based Log
Domain= a place to purchase a Domain Name
Web Host= a online server where you can store a web site
FTP= File Transfer Protocol(Needed to upload any files to a web site)
Cpanel= Something the web host gives you in order to expedite working on a web site
Fantasico= another big help given by most web hosts it greatly expedites many web site installs among them Wordpress. Since it is provided by the web host you eliminate several steps among them getting Word Press, uploading and then installing word press a more cumbersome way

Domain Name= needed item in order to get a web site. I have just scratched the surface of what is involved in obtaining a online presence.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby sandy47 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:25 am

Hey guys, :D

Do you realize i'm about 13hours ahead of you. Gets confusing sometimes.
Thanks Traci. I think it gives me enough for now. When I actually start doing it i'll probably have more questions. Sometimes when you don't know alot you don't even know what to ask. :?

Bob - simple definitions. Thanks that's just what I need. Sometimes when i'm reading stuff i get confused by all the abbreviations. Like until recently i didn't even know what SEO was or RSS or- oh well you get the picture.

When you have more experience I think you take these things for granted but to a newbie it's all a new world.

Traci there must be heaps of folk who would appreciate a simple guide. I can't be the only one who needs help with the basics.

Sandy :)
sandy47

Postby sandy47 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 am

Hey Traci,

Just found something that might interest you.
According to WordTracker 336 people want to know "how to make a website" 913 people want to know "what does FTP stand for" and 731 "what does http stand for".

Was just looking around and noticed those gems.

Sandy :D
sandy47

Postby alexc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Welcome to the wide wide world of e-commerce and web development. First of all, if you are willing to use someone elses work, then WordPress (http://wordpress.org/) will work just fine for you, and offers a ton of features for free. CPanel and Fantastico are features offered by your web host that will offer a lot of different tools for building out your website.

If you are dedicated to learning how to do it yourself I recommend using a lot of Google and checking out W3 Schools (http://www.w3schools.com/) to learn how to build a web site.
alexc

Postby robert adams » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:42 pm

If you are going to use wordpress and if you are going to install it via your hosting control panel, then make sure the version they offer is up to date or it could be open for hackers.

part of running a website and using different types of software is having to keep it up to date when new versions come out.

it is sad but true that all the little hackers out there just love to hack into the free software and mess with people's websites.

I am not saying this to scare you, just so you won't be vulnerable to the easy stuff.

wordpress has been hacked in the past because it is so good and it is open source/free software.

the hackers go after the most popular free stuff out there.

usually, all you have to do is run an auto update thing once in a while.

I just wanted to let you know about this because we have been talking about installing WP using fantastico and that is how a lot of people wind up with out of date software.

There are some hosts out there that have fantastico installers that are still installing 5 year old versions of software like wp and phpbb etc..

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby sandy47 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:17 am

sandy47

Postby tknoppe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:30 am

tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:38 pm

Keep in mind that it is possible for the Automatic Upgrade to bork(messup) your Site. There is a SSWT'r who's had her database borked and is now looking for a solution short of reinstalling WP and maybe even then having to involve her web host in the process.

I myself haven't had any problems with Automatic Upgrade, but do get the latest version from Word Press. org and if and when you are told there is a new version available install it.There is a system in place that allows upgrades of both plug-ins and Wordpress with out you personally having to obtain and install them.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 pm

True Bob. I'm a web designer - so I prefer to manually install everything; but for those who do not know how, Fantastico is a viable option, and with the wp-automatic upgrade plugin, it's a very good solution to keep everything (including plugins) up-to-date, which is very important in WP. :wink:
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby sandy47 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks once more guys,

It seems like a good idea to learn to do these things manually, but for my first foray into the field i'll probably go with Fantastico. I'll keep you posted. Pity some of my other questions haven't drawn the same type of response. :(

Sandy :)
sandy47

Postby robert adams » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:39 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:54 pm

tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

PreviousNext