[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Where should I start??? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Where should I start???

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Where should I start???

Postby laylagrace » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:44 pm

Hola beautiful people! As you can see I am new here but hoping to become a member of the family. :D I guess my first question is: Where should I start? I've been reading different things here and there but still not sure where to start.

A little bit about me: 24, trying to finish college and get my bachelors degree. Been thinking a lot about working from home. The whole going to work day in and day out and all the transportation is not my thing. I love to be home and I'm one of those people that if it's raining hard or snowing I'm stomping my feet annoyed at the fact that I have to go outside. I'm good with computers and know things about owning a website/domain name since I have worked on some before. But the actual making money off of them is where I'm clueless. A home based business I think is definately suited for me since I love to be at home, don't like having to take public transport to and from the city, don't like the whole 9 to 5 thing, love the idea of being my own boss, and also being able to live wherever I want because all I need is a computer and internet. I am itching to move out of the folks home and get my own place. I'm starting to feel like I'm suffocating here.

So how should I get started??? I've been selling some things on Ebay lately and that's been cool but I'm selling my own stuff and soon I will run out of things to sell. :lol: So what should I do next?
laylagrace

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi Layla & Welcome :D

I would highly recommend Affiliate Marketing and Info Products. Are you familiar with blogs & blogging? Many people are starting out with blogs instead of websites. In fact, I have a post at my ClickNewz blog about creating affiliate sites with a blog: http://www.clicknewz.com/1137/creating- ... ate-sites/

Of the things you've looked into so far, what seems to interest you most?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby laylagrace » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:58 am

Hi Lynn. Yes I am familiar with blogs. I have used Wordpress before. I know HTML, uploading stuff to your website by FTP and so on. So I know how to create a website but I'm just lost on the whole affiliate marketing/info products thing and what exactly are they and how I would integrate those things into a website to make money.

Like for instance I've been working on an Alicia Keys media website which would have tons of videos of her performances, interviews, music videos and so on and also audio. It got a little too stressful for me so I put it on the back burner. I already have the domain and am paying my lovely host a nice monthly fee and this freaking website is not open yet. Could I make money off of this website? If so, what exactly would I have to do? If not what kind of website should I have that would make me money? Would I need multiple websites??

One of my interests is music. I listen to all kinds of music. So if you suggest that also I have a blog I guess blogging about music would be cool.

I have also really gotten into Ebay. The whole rush of seeing how many bidders and watchers you have is so cool. I better watch out and not go crazy and sell all my stuff. :lol: I've heard that people make full time incomes just from selling on Ebay. How the heck do they do that? Where do they get the stuff to sell?
laylagrace

Postby laurie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:32 am

Hi Layla,

Welcome!!

If you enjoy what you're doing on Ebay, I would recomend getting involved in selling wholesale merchandise. You can only sell your own things for just so long, then you run out :(

There is a good directory of wholesalers that is Ebay approved. I have an affiliate link, so if you would like it, please email me at homebusiness@frontiernet.net

This is where the whole affiliate marketing aspect comes in. As you find a niche that you are interested in, you can begin recommending products to people that are affiliates, and you will make a commission when they buy through your link. It's a great way to earn some income, and you can specialize in an area that you have an interest in.

I love working from home for all the reasons you mentioned and more. I wish you much success. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.
laurie
Elite Member

Postby laylagrace » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks Laurie. I just emailed you. :D
laylagrace

Postby JosephRatliff » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi Layla!

Since you mentioned you like blogging...obviously you would stay in the blogging area of this forum...

But in terms of resources to get you started in blogging...

I recommend Copyblogger.com
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby Anita DeFrank » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:02 pm

It definitely sounds like blogging & affiliate marketing may be perfect for you. You can also earn a little extra with a blog with Adsense ;)

And for the ebay thing ...
Why don't you start attending yard sales, craft shows, flea markets etc and buy some goods to sell on Ebay?

Just some thoughts ... I too am a work at home mom and wish you tons of success! I wouldn't give up my home biz for anything!

Later!
Anita :P
Anita DeFrank

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi Layla,

Get that site online, girl! ;) :D You can recommend related products from Amazon, from poster sites, and anywhere else you can find an affiliate program to promote products her fans would be interested in. But the main point is to get that site up and let it get indexed and established, and start building a mailing list. Everything gets easier from there!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby laylagrace » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm bumping up my old topic because I've decided to get back into this whole internet marketing thing. I've finally graduated college which was one of my goals and now my next goal is internet marketing and working from home so I need all the help I can get.
laylagrace

Postby laylagrace » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:04 pm

laylagrace

Postby Kathymcbain » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:57 am

Kathymcbain

Postby 2jessica » Sun May 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi laylagrace, I was in the same boat till I found experienced business professionals who not only helped me but were great as experienced Business Coaches. They offered so many benefits with successful strategies, how to deal with obstacles and starting problems, how to access businesses for sales, how to prepare a business plan and will also solve the myths of easy business financing. Check out: www.businessforsmarties.com for more info.
2jessica

What a cool site

Postby createyourdream » Sun May 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Laylagrace,

I love your Alicia Keyes sites! Promoting related material on those sites to earn affiliate & advertising income is a great idea.

The popularity of musician celebrities must be a traffic draw, and I expect the challenge is keeping visitors interested enough to convert to buyers.

What do you want your visitor to do first when they arrive at your site? Do you have a way to gather name and email? What other music might they be interested in, what do they buy in addition to music, etc.

I'm not familiar with eBay's policies about music, only physical products? Wondering if the collectibles and vinyl record sales on eBay are worthwhile to look into, if you like this music related business.

There are so many sharing sites nowadays, and it's a great time for start-up musicians to get a following on-line. Is it possible that you could find a group to promote that has a similar sound to Alicia Keyes? (of course, I know she has an absolutely unique sound, but I mean, in her musical genre)

Places like Hubpages, Squidoo, Wetpaint, MySpace and Facebook, as well as Twitter, FriendFeed, and a ton of others are all places that you can put up a profile and present content attracting your market and point back to your Alicia Keyes site. Free advertising, planting seeds.

Just going off on an idea binge here. Your thread started a light in my brain. Just wondering...

best for now,
Mary
createyourdream
Elite Member

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics