[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - keyword analysis • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

keyword analysis

SEO strategy, tips & questions. How to optimize web pages. Search engine algorithms. What affects your rankings. This is where you'll find all discussions related to Search Engine Optimization.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby Dennis_JM » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi I'm just catching up. Thank you all for the insight on keyword research. Sharon & Roy really have a wide selection of tools. My question is why would someone use Wordtracker results other than to determine whether the singular or plural of a keyword is most appropriate?

I took the list I did today from Key Word Selector on Overture and Wordtracker, multiplied the Word Tracker results by 30.3 (average number of days in a month) and came up with significantly different supply demand ratios. That figures because the chances of a given result on any given day on WordTracker representing a statistical average are pure chance. There may not even be an "average" day. So why not always use Overture (plurals not withstanding)?

Dennis
Dennis_JM

Postby Dennis_JM » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:24 pm

Again, forgive a newbie but I’m a little confused about inbound links as displayed on Yahoo. I tried link: http://www.puppydogweb.com/names/names.htm and got a response of 2,280. But when I did an Alexa search I got only 111. Of course this matters since I can deal with 111 links but would have a hard time coming up with 2,280

Dennis
Dennis_JM

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:59 am

Overture & WordTracker get their results from different sources, so it's actually good to look at both. It's important to note, too, that Overture shows you the approx number of searches per month, and WordTracker shows you the approx number of searches per day.

It is said that Overture's data is inflated due to webmasters using it so frequently for research. That, combined with the singular/plural issue, makes me double check results at WordTracker.

As for Alexa, it is a completely inaccurate tool - not one taken seriously by site owners & SEO'ers. In order to find out how many backward links a page has, you need to use the "link:URL" command in Yahoo Search.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:31 pm

Ladan Lashkari

Question

Postby Dennis_JM » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:12 pm

Twice in this thread it's been stated that Overture/Yahoo tracks results by the month while WordTracker tracks by the day. I tried that idea out and it just didn't seem to work. I must be missing something. So I paid a little more attention to the help function on WordTracker and found this:

". . . This shows the number of times a particular keyword has appeared in our database.

E.g. Our database currently holds 316054297 words. A count of 147 tells us that this particular word has appeared 147 times in (this is over 110 days).

Our keywords are taken from major metacrawlers (a service that queries all the main search engines simultaneously).

Our main sources are Metacrawler and Dogpile, the two largest Metacrawlers on the net. Metacrawlers have the major advantage of matching the search profile of the search engines very closely. But are not subject to the same kind of skew from software robots that continually check web site and pay per bid positions. "

Now I understand that few people use metacrawlers so the numbers are smaller but this doesn’t seem to indicate that they are listed by days but rather nearly three weeks worth of database input.

No?
Dennis_JM

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:45 pm

It's a bit confusing, I agree. And there is a great thread here I will have to locate that goes into more detail. You are looking at info on the "Count" column. The number I look at is in the "Predict" column which is the approx number of searches per day.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Dennis_JM » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:27 pm

Wow, that's amazing. They're usually so close with the prediction usually a little higher.

You're right, I am confused. I'll read the article tonight.

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis_JM

Google Versus Yahoo

Postby Dennis_JM » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:31 pm

I wonder if anyone has any idea about the relative search volume Yahoo and Google do these days. For instance, is Google twice as searched as Yahoo?

I'm trying to weight an average.

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis_JM

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:53 am

Ladan Lashkari

Re: Google Versus Yahoo

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:04 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Dennis_JM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:25 am

Dennis_JM

Postby Dennis_JM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:35 am

Dennis_JM

Weighted Average

Postby Dennis_JM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:08 am

Okay, so if I’m trying to rate keywords I’d start by determining the demand by using the Overture Keyword Tool and then assess the supply by doing an all words search on Google, Yahoo and Wordtracker.

Now here’s where it gets tricky. I’d want to convert the Wordtracker daily estimate to a monthly figure by multiplying by 30.3. Then I’d weigh the Yahoo supply figure against the Google number by multiplying the Yahoo number by .44, since there are more than twice as many searches are done on Google. I could then take the three adjusted values and average them for a better picture of supply pages across all three sources.

Of course, this isn’t an accurate gage of competition, since most of the pages in the mix are inconsequential but it should give me a good idea of which keywords to start digging on. Yes?
Dennis_JM

Postby Dennis_JM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:49 am

Dennis_JM

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:06 am

Ladan Lashkari

PreviousNext

Return to SEO - Search Engine Optimization