[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Directory Submissions - Should I or Shouldn't I? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Directory Submissions - Should I or Shouldn't I?

SEO strategy, tips & questions. How to optimize web pages. Search engine algorithms. What affects your rankings. This is where you'll find all discussions related to Search Engine Optimization.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Directory Submissions - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Postby lindastacy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 am

I haven't submitted my sites to directories, but I've been thinking perhaps I should. Researching the question results in opposing views. What do you think? Is it worth the time and effort? What if any potentially negative consequences are there to submitting to directories? Should I use free submissions too or only paid submissions?

Of course if I go for it I want to submit to only quality directories. Do you have recommendations?

And finally, is there a directory submission "how to"? Who's the expert?

Sorry... that's a lot of questions! :oops: If each person who replies just answers one or two it will still be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
lindastacy

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:01 am

Getting quality backlinks to your sites are very importlant...it tells Google how cool you are! ;)

1-way backlinks are the best, from them to you. Be picky. If the directory doesn't INSIST on a return link, don't...or pass it by if it does.

Make sure to deep link into directories when at all possible. If your site is about gardening in Arizona, find categories that will match your niche.

Look for specific directories that have to do with your niche....they're out there.

I had a couple URLs for you that would help a lot, but I can't locate them :(

A great free tool to use for backlinks and everything else in the universe is Search It. You can find it at

Hope this helps a tad.

Regards,

Tony
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby terrapin719 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:18 am

Definitely look for one way links from directories, otherwise you end up with all those little buttons or text links on your site and that's no fun.

I don't think it hurts anything to submit to directories, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it either. I did submit my blogs to a handful of blog directories here and there early on.

I don't think they'll bring a rush of traffic, but they might bring a little trickle!
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Wish I could help ya Linda but I haven't submitted to any directories. I will be very interested to hear what everyone else has to say though. One way backlinks are something I do need to work on for sure.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby lindastacy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. Anyone else have suggestions, especially for a how-to expert resource?
lindastacy

Postby terrapin719 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:49 pm

terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby ricky steve » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:06 am

ricky steve

Re: Directory Submissions - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Postby morkelkey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:23 am

I will say that in checking my back links this morning that considerably more had underscores than hyphens even though I know the majority of my back links have more.
morkelkey

Return to SEO - Search Engine Optimization