[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Domain name and SEO • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Domain name and SEO

SEO strategy, tips & questions. How to optimize web pages. Search engine algorithms. What affects your rankings. This is where you'll find all discussions related to Search Engine Optimization.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Domain name and SEO

Postby MikeM » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:33 am

MikeM

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:47 am

Hi Mike,

The domain name itself carries little weight in the overall ranking criteria, however… there is a reason that a keyword-rich domain name can help you to (indirectly) improve your search engine ranking.

The reason is because of the way that people will link to you…

Currently, the biggest ranking factor (for Google results) is “off the page” or your inbound links - the quality of those links, the relevancy of those links, and how your pages are linked to.

If someone really likes your website, and decides to link to you… they are most likely to link to you with the Anchor Text (or Link Text) of your domain name. For they generally link using text such as “ClickNewz”, “Click Newz” or “Lynn Terry”.

But if you want people to link to you using your preferred Link Text (to help with your rankings), you have to specifically ask them. As we all know, link exchange requests are getting harder and harder - people simply ignore them for the most part. So your best links are going to come from those who just link to you naturally. By choice.

This is where a keyword rich domain can be helpful!

Lets say that your domain name is “lowerbloodpressure.com” - people will naturally link to you using words like “lower blood pressure” (which contains your keyword phrase). People do that because it’s the ‘title’ of your site, and its easy (ie they dont have to think).

My own domain name is a good (bad) example of this: SelfStartersWeeklyTips. Many people link to it as Self-Starters Weekly Tips or SSWT. My primary keyword phrase is “Learn Internet Marketing” so I have to really work hard to get inbound links using that anchor text - and ask for it specifically. Ideally, links on other people’s web pages that are pointing to my site would look like this:

The anchor text (or link text) used in linking to your pages is directly related to which terms your pages will rank well for.

So if you name your site - and choose your domain name - around a good solid keyword phrase, you’ll be more likely to get a higher number of your inbound links with keyword-rich anchor text that helps your main page to rank better in the major search engines. ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby MikeM » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:29 pm

Lynn,

Thanks for the awsome answer. I never even thought about how others would link to me. That's a good point.

I'm starting to work on my content and will soon be signing up with an ISP that uses Mambo. I've been checking into content management systems (CMS) and Mambo seemed the easiest to use and is still very customizable.

The reason I'm going to use a CMS this time around is because I built my last site with Frontpage and everytime I added an article, I had to change 3 or 4 pages within the site to show it. That got to be a pain. Hopefully Mambo will automate a lot of that for me.

Once the site is up, I'll post it here.

Thanks again.

Mike
MikeM

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:32 pm

Great! Glad it was helpful ;)

Keep us posted!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Peacelovinman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:27 am

Yeh, thanks Lynn. I was under the impression that the domain name did make a difference to how search engines rank the page but find choosing domain names around key words difficult.

I can see your point about the in bound links. As you say, if your domain doesn't describe what you do, you need to specify to the person linking to you what text you would like displayed.

Another nugget of information from your forum!

Andy.

p.s. Like the new pic - very glamorous! :wink:
Peacelovinman

Postby Alan Petersen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:40 pm

Great advice Lynn Terry. Especially since you walk the talk! #1 on Google for "Learn Internet Marketing" is SSWT! :D
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:14 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Getagrip » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:22 am

I think that if you are targeting keywords within your domain name, you are likely to get the best results. For example, take a look at the domain in my signature...have you figured out what keywords I'm targeting???
Getagrip

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:47 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Cratima » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:36 am

Regarding the two domains in the initial posting:
"www.marketingtips.com or www.411marketing.com"

I'd go for the first one concerning SEO, but I'd go for the second one concerning branding.

It's much better to have a generic name when searched for at Google, but it's much better to have a unique domain when thinking about the visitors.

So there are two parts of the equation.
Cratima

Return to SEO - Search Engine Optimization