[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Ignorant Twitter Bias and First Impressions • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Ignorant Twitter Bias and First Impressions

Introduce yourself and your business, tell us why you joined Self-Starters Weekly Tips and brainstorm with fellow members here! General business discussion welcomed. *(Blatant ads will be deleted)

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Ignorant Twitter Bias and First Impressions

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 am

Have you ever met someone for the first time, and for whatever reason immediately decided that you didn't like that person? Then after getting to know the person, you discovered that he or she wasn't so bad after all?

Of course you have. We all have. Fair or not, it's human nature to form erroneous judgements and opinions about people we really don't know. And while it may be human nature to do this, it's also ignorant.

I was guilty of this type of ignorance myself recently - but not with a person, with an entity. I formed a negative opinion about Twitter, based on erroneous first impressions.

I had heard that Twitter was a silly waste of time, and not really a useful marketing tool. Because those opinions comported with my own negative opinion of Twitter, I bought into the negativity, and began badmouthing Twitter at every turn, instead of doing my own due diligence.

Finally, wanting to check things out for myself, I visited Twitter's website, and there they were - four words which would confirm my negative opinion about Twitter.

Those four words? "What are you doing?"

What are you doing? "Who cares what I'm doing, I thought to myself. I'm eating breakfast, that's what I'm doing. But who cares?"

Well, apparently millions of Twitter subscribers care about what other Twitter subscribers are doing, because Twitter has an estimated 10 million users worldwide.

And as impressive as those numbers are, it took having lunch with a good friend of mine to finally make me see the truth about Twitter. My friend showed me how Twitter had dramatically improved his financial bottom line. He showed me before and after numbers. He showed me cold, hard proof, and I became a believer.

Bottom line: I was wrong about Twitter, and I don't have a problem admitting that. Twitter is an excellent marketing and networking tool, which can be used to build relationships and promote virtually any type of business - profit or non-profit. You are limited only by your imagination.

As a result, I will be using Twitter myself this summer, when I launch my new website. I already have a million ideas about how to promote my business via Twitter. I can't wait to get started!

In the words of Dick Jones from Robo Cop... "Good business is where you find it!"

Follow me on Twitter @CustomerReviews

David Jackson
Last edited by David Jackson on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Jackson

Postby angienewton » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 am

Glad to hear you see the benefits of using Twitter. I like Twitter but there are a few things I don't like about it (like all the re-tweets, people who just post quote after quote and link after link, the follow fridays are clogging my list LOL oh and a few more things).

I don't know if Twitter is a benefit to my business because I'm not quite sure how to read stats yet but I'll have to check that out.

Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you this summer.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:03 pm

David Jackson

Postby angienewton » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:28 pm

angienewton
Elite Member

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:34 pm

David Jackson

Postby TorontoCarol » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:42 pm

I feel the same way Angie. I hate to stop following and offend them, but I do not like the way some of them talk. Shows that how you act on twitter can come back to haunt you. As a result of twitter comments made by a marketer in my local area that I formerly thought highly of, I would never want to do business with now.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby CaraM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:37 pm

I recently read a great review/tutorial to manage twitter using TweetDeck. Saves me lots of time and frustration using it!
http://www.twitip.com/how-to-follow-alo ... tweetdeck/
CaraM
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 am

terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 am

tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby David Jackson » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 am

David Jackson

Postby David Jackson » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am

Last edited by David Jackson on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Jackson

Postby tknoppe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 am

I've discussed the follower/following thing quite a bit on my blog. Here's one such article that discusses my . These are 3 key things I look for before I follow someone. There are sometimes other reasons why I may follow someone, outside of these three things, like I found them via another Twitter conversation thread and I liked what they were tweeting, or they came highly recommended via someone else I respected or a number of other things - but these are my main 3 key checking points I look at before following most folks. Not fool-proof, but usually pretty accurate, and if there's ever an issue, I can always unfollow, but rarely have to by doing it this way.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby David Jackson » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:04 am

David Jackson

Postby David Jackson » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:35 pm

David Jackson

Postby KarenMcG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:14 pm

KarenMcG
Elite Member

Next

Return to Introductions & General eBiz Discussion